noise level on 41hz ta2022 kits when using compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking at the AMP5 / AMP10 / AMP10-Basic kits from 41HZ - but I want to use them with fairly high efficiency compression drivers (econowave type speakers). Are these amps when assembled with good shielding capable of being close to "dead quiet"? I've heard some of the Tripath amp modules can have a little bit of background noise when used with high efficiency speakers - obviously no amp can be completely quiet but with the Class AB amp I'm currently using I have to pretty much stick my ear right in the horn to hear the background hiss, and its inaudible away from the speaker.

I've never heard a Tripath amp that was "dead quiet" or even close.

I've had amps based on nearly all the different Tripath chips at one time or another. None of them have ever come close to some other Class-D amps I've owned in terms of background noise (or lack there of).

The quietest Class-D amps I've owned were IcePower's 200ASC and IR's IRAUDAMP1 reference board.

I have a few AMP1-B's which are similar to AMP5 and AMP10. I can tell you they do have a noticeable amount of background noise. The 5V analog supply plays a major role in this noise though.

The TP2050 is reported to be quieter. It's a smaller chip, and there's less metal overall to pick up noise, so it makes sense to my uninfirmed self.

Re. Truepath: Heh :) (Though I don't think the Truepath isn't as complex as it seems ... I do plan on trying one, mostly to play with a lowish-voltage bridged TA3020 ...)

Re. Truepath: Heh :) (Though I don't think the Truepath isn't as complex as it seems ... I do plan on trying one, mostly to play with a lowish-voltage bridged TA3020 ...)

Just listened to a Connex Electronics TA3020 board (well implemented with shielded wiring and ground loop protection etc) in comparison with some other amps and it has the level of silence and sound I am after.

The TRUEPATH also looks great but I have heard it is pretty hairy to build.. maybe one day, when I have attained level 13 zen solder ninja status.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.