Any input on the new Dayton TK2050?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This sounds like a pretty good deal to me (when/if they get it in). Any input, advice or experience with this TK2050 amp and accessories?

300-383_sIII.jpg

Dayton TK2050

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me (when/if they get it in). Any input, advice or experience with this TK2050 amp and accessories?

300-383_sIII.jpg
Looks cool. Thanks for the tip. I am CRAZY about my modified Sure 2X100 amps which run the TK2050 chip set. I just ordered 10 more so I will have plenty ready as I move forward on my PC cross 4 ways.

Looks like these units are shipping. I just received a tracking number, and the product page now says "in stock."

They don't say, but it looks like they only have one power chip, which pretty much limits them to 8 ohm speakers. And the 24v brick is nothing to write home about.

The Sure with a Meanwell power supply for the same money seems like a much better deal. You just need to find a box.

-cc

Dta-100

True, but the average person doesn't have the time, skill, or inclination to build and troubleshoot an amp (even a prefabricated Sure board). And it's easier to recommend a finished product to friends and family.

I suspect one of the biggest obstacles to wider Class-T adoption is the fact that most finished amps fall into one of two categories: 1) inexpensive but barely powerful enough for an "ordinary" set of speakers (e.g., TA2024, TA2020), 2) powerful but expensive (e.g., Virtue One). A TK2050 amp like the DTA-100 is a middle ground between these two extremes.

I had one of these...

Hi, I had one of these units. Some comments:

1) Performed very well, pretty good sound and a decent smps.

2) Not as good as the Virtue by any means, but much better than pretty much any receiver or even other chip-amps like the ones based on the National Semi sets.

3) If you want to mod it, it's going to be difficult due to the size of the package.

4) Easiest mod would be to outboard the coupling cap.

5) It's true this Dayton amp does NOT like 4 ohm loads. For that go to the hifimediy or Sure boards and build yer own... or get a Virtue which is a really, really great amp.

But for a quick and easy solution for 8 ohm speakers, especially if they are efficient, the Dayton is very pleasing to the ear.

They don't say, but it looks like they only have one power chip, which pretty much limits them to 8 ohm speakers. And the 24v brick is nothing to write home about.

The Sure with a Meanwell power supply for the same money seems like a much better deal. You just need to find a box.

-cc

Yes, the Sure, hifimediy and 41hz offerings with a Meanwell would probably be better than the Dayton, especially with loads under 8 ohms.

BUT....If driving an 8 ohm speaker, the Dayton sounds just about identical to a stock unmodified Sure... which is pretty good indeed.

I have Virtues so I sold my Dayton un-modded without opening it, the case was visibly too small to fit the inout coupling caps I wanted to use, and I did not like the idea of having pigtails attached.

If you're going to do any modding at all, and these amps really deserve to be hot-rodded, then it's time to go shopping for a nice case and roll your own with one of the boards, just as Dr Vega suggests.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.