MTX 600XD question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a amp that is coming up in protection mode. I decided to open the amp up to see if I smelled that electrical burning smell and see if I could see any phsyical damage. The amp is not under warranty nor did I have to remove the warranty sticker any way. I had a few questions for those of you with a heck of alot more experience than I.

1. You will notice thes 2 blue things with this white gunk all around it. Is this bad? because it would seem that if that goo can transfer electricity there is going to be alot of bad things happening with all that crap on it.

2. One of what I call capciters looks to be a little larger than the other 3 and pokes up a bit. Could this be the issue? I am going to take it to a shop because I do not know what the hell I am doing. I am just wondering since I seen it.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00424.jpg
    IMG00424.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG00423.jpg
    IMG00423.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG00426.jpg
    IMG00426.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG00427.jpg
    IMG00427.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
1. You will notice thes 2 blue things with this white gunk all around it. Is this bad? because it would seem that if that goo can transfer electricity there is going to be alot of bad things happening with all that crap on it.

the white gunk is usually a silicon glue, so hese 2 blue things (capacitors) do not broke away because of vibrations...

2. One of what I call capciters looks to be a little larger than the other 3 and pokes up a bit. Could this be the issue? I am going to take it to a shop because I do not know what the hell I am doing. I am just wondering since I seen it.

the capacitor 'pokes up' because of the enormous heat. The enormous heat can be produced by enormous pulsating voltage or by too high voltage. I think this amp got once a lot more than designed 12-14 volts (about 50-100 volts, I would say).

Seems, it will be needed to check all the PSU and amp mosfets, eventually replace some of them... :rolleyes:

I think this amp got once a lot more than designed 12-14 volts (about 50-100 volts, I would say).

I don't think so.If the amp got 50-100v,there must be more poked capacitors and many burned components.That capacitor poked because of heat,wear and ripple current or poor quality.It is a common problem for electrolytic caps in all electronic devices.It is possible that the capacitor isn't the reason for the amp to go into protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.