Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which one is the best value? Has anyone experience which one of this T-Amps?

approx. 30 USD --- Lepai --- TA2020

I think: No Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection. I think that is a real disadvantage, because it could damage the speakers on the long-term use. But the best price!!! Is this amp enough? Some people also write that the TA2020 is better than the TA2024 (and what is the difference to the TA2024C?) But is it true? Finally, is the cheapest also the best value?

approx. 39 USD --- Sure ---, TA2024C (Class-D)

I think: In my opinion it has the best design, but on the product site there is written: …you buy a prototype…, and no power adapter (but I don’t know exactly). What they mean with Class D? (I think they also means Class T like the others, or not?) And no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, I think?

approx. 43 USD --- S.M.S.L. ---, TA-2024

I think: No Chinch Audio connectors, only 3,5mm. Also no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, I think.

approx. 59USD --- MUSE ---, TA2024

I think: Is it more or less the same like the S.M.S.L.? If yes: No Chinch Audio connectors, only 3,5mm, no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection.

approx. 80 USD --- TOPPING TP10 MK4 --- TA2024

I think: This amp has a Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, but the on/off switch is on the rear site (I mean this is really stupid, and unhandy.)

approx. 118 USD --- TOPPING TP30 --- TA2024C

I think: It is expensive, and is it necessary to spend so much money? Ok, he has an on/off switch on the front side, and he has an USB connector. (But how works the USB? Like an USB Stick? If yes, he would play the tracks only in the order of the storage. Otherwise a graphic user interface would be necessary, like Windows - has anyone tried this?)

Has anyone a sound experience which one or more of these types?

Last edited by (real)highend; 11th February 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Insert Links to the each product
Old 11th February 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

2020 > 2024

A (properly designed) 2020 based amp will always be superior to a 2024 based one.

The last one on your list (the Topping TP30) is a USB DAC with a Topping TP10 mk4 in the same cabinet, so it not comparable to the rest)

Last edited by Saturnus; 11th February 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12th February 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the Sure TK2050.
Old 12th February 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Same decision.

I am at the same point in my system build (never ending isn't it) and I almost have the exact same question. So decided to piggy back.

So I hear ya on the 2020, how do these compare to the LM3886 oe the 1875 chips.

I have also heard of the modification to the 2020 equipped amps to make them better. Is it available as a to do list somewhere (I should confess, I joined 2 hours ago and have not searched). So be gentle, and say search for "2020 mods" etc, I'm down with that.

Now of course I must confess, I have only 1 pair of even 1/2 way decent speakers. A wharfedale modus 8. Otherwise I have a tin can of a fisher STV9415, another say larger tin can fishers, a fisher ST 740 I am fitting with all new drivers from parts express with their recomendation of drivers for my cabinets. Dayton DC300 woofer, a vifa mid, and a jamo 20132 tweeter. Its using the stock l-pads and crossover (and yes I know its an unknown) but I am thinking of trying it before swapping the cross over.

I'm thinking to run a good amp only the wharfedales would do.

Any one have thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 13th February 2010, 08:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
2020 > 2024

A (properly designed) 2020 based amp will always be superior to a 2024 based one.

The last one on your list (the Topping TP30) is a USB DAC with a Topping TP10 mk4 in the same cabinet, so it not comparable to the rest)

I think the USB is only a feature, the rest works as a normal amplifier. Or Ií am wrong?
Old 13th February 2010, 08:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled108 View Post
Check out the Sure TK2050.
I think the Sure TK2050 is only available in a self build version. Thatís too expensive, because I have to add the price of a power supply and a costly amp-housing/enclosure (I havenít seen anyone under 100 $). Therefore I thing itís better for me to buy a finished amp. If you know cheap amp housings, so could you tell me some?
Old 13th February 2010, 08:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (real)highend View Post
approx. 30 USD --- Lepai --- TA2020

I think: No Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection. I think that is a real disadvantage, because it could damage the speakers on the long-term use. But the best price!!! Is this amp enough? Some people also write that the TA2020 is better than the TA2024 (and what is the difference to the TA2024C?) But is it true? Finally, is the cheapest also the best value?

approx. 39 USD --- Sure ---, TA2024C (Class-D)

I think: In my opinion it has the best design, but on the product site there is written: Öyou buy a prototypeÖ, and no power adapter (but I donít know exactly). What they mean with Class D? (I think they also means Class T like the others, or not?) And no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, I think?

approx. 43 USD --- S.M.S.L. ---, TA-2024

I think: No Chinch Audio connectors, only 3,5mm. Also no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, I think.

approx. 59USD --- MUSE ---, TA2024

I think: Is it more or less the same like the S.M.S.L.? If yes: No Chinch Audio connectors, only 3,5mm, no Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection.

approx. 80 USD --- TOPPING TP10 MK4 --- TA2024

I think: This amp has a Mute Switch Machine Speaker Protection, but the on/off switch is on the rear site (I mean this is really stupid, and unhandy.)

approx. 118 USD --- TOPPING TP30 --- TA2024C

I think: It is expensive, and is it necessary to spend so much money? Ok, he has an on/off switch on the front side, and he has an USB connector. (But how works the USB? Like an USB Stick? If yes, he would play the tracks only in the order of the storage. Otherwise a graphic user interface would be necessary, like Windows - has anyone tried this?)

Has anyone a sound experience which one or more of these types?

Please, could anyone tell me if itís better to buy a ---finished--- amp with a TA2020 or a TA2024? I donít plan to improve neither the TA2020 nor the TA2024. I will use the amp exactly as he is delivered; I wouldnít handicraft work on the amp.

In this context would be the TA2024 better than TA2020 or not?
Old 13th February 2010, 11:56 AM   #8
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by (real)highend View Post
I think the USB is only a feature, the rest works as a normal amplifier. Or Ií am wrong?
Saturnus is correct, the unit in question has an inbuilt USB DAC. Yes the 'rest' works as a normal amplifier
Old 13th February 2010, 02:31 PM   #9
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Amp value.

I am leaning towards that lepai, but yes remote and mute etc are going to be needed. I may open it and mod it, and use it as a experimental piece before I go to a different one after perfecting the mods.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 13th February 2010, 02:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath View Post
I am leaning towards that lepai, but yes remote and mute etc are going to be needed. I may open it and mod it, and use it as a experimental piece before I go to a different one after perfecting the mods.
Cool.
Srinath.
I understand you, but only for a few more $ I could get e.g. the Sure, and this one looks 100 Percent better (and I think it has also the better finsih).

Hide this!Advertise here!