Does a delta sigma modulator need an output filter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2010, 08:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Default Does a delta sigma modulator need an output filter?

Simple question before I cause some horrific RF pollution but due to the broadband nature of the noise from a delta-sigma ADC does an amplifier based on this modulation scheme require an output filter? if so can this filter be implemented digitaly on the bit-stream itself?
Old 18th January 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is for a subwoofer application (nice high voice coil inductance) and the switching fequancy is 2Mhz. After reading TI's documents it seems like a bad idea, however I think I can get away with very small inductors/capacitors as I only really have to start attenuating the output >100Khz looking at my output spectrum. I don't use inductors much however I guess I am looking for a low hystiris core and very high self resonance in this application.
Old 18th January 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A subwoofer amp that switches at 2Mhz? Why?
Old 18th January 2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Note that the voice coil of a speaker is inductive but does not act as a good high frequency inductor due to capacitance, particularly when it has more than one layer or when the former is made of aluminium or any other conductive material. A lowpass filter is always a good idea, although in low power appliations it may be made with ferrite beads and low value capacitors.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
A subwoofer amp that switches at 2Mhz? Why?
Thats just the modulators operating frequency to get good SNR. I am going to be performing digital filtering on the bit-stream and the 2Mhz figure is just the maximum switching frequency which should only happen in the case of no input. As for why I just want to test some ideas out and they are getting too complex for spice to be much use.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:22 PM   #6
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not clear on your topology - a delta-sigma modulator/DAC is a "digital filter" that has increased and radomized the switching times at high frequencies in order to reduce the audio frequency error components of the modulation process

you could choose other modulators or program your own to change the shape of the modulation "noise" frequency response, subject to some fundamental limits - if you are very good a advanced control theory including nonlinear oscillation/limit cycle analysis

if you are refering to ADC then you always have to have anti-alias filtering on the input - for audio this is usaully done with active fliters rather than trying to find good inductors
Old 19th January 2010, 12:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The modulator is described as the ADC. The filter is for the switching output. My question pertains to whether by averaging the delta sigma waveform digitally I can reduce the high frequency components of the output waveform. This is while still feeding back the full 2Mhz sample rate bit stream. I think this will work but I haven't had chance to study discrete time systems yet, but my limited knowledge of digital filters suggests that they work in the same way as analogue and so this should work?

input -> 2mhz delta sigma modulator -> Average of N samples -> output stage

Hide this!Advertise here!