Problems selecting the right TA2020 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Pirelli is offline Pirelli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Problems selecting the right TA2020 amp

Hi,

After reading discussions on modifying the Topping Tp-20 on diyAudio Iíve been having problems with what to buy.
I wonder if you have any opinions on different brands.

At first I found the Muse M20 EX TA2020 and since they also sell a 60W linear power supply I thought that that was the choice.
Then I found the Hlly TAMP-20 which I thought looked much more HiFi on the PCB with all the components.
Then I read about the modified Topping.

Since I havenít found a comparison between those three, do you know if the modded Topping outperforms the Muse and Hlly? Does the latter need modifications or benefit from it as well?

Thanks in advance,

Lars-Inge
Old 17th January 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
riky is offline riky  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

i have same question
thx
riky
Old 17th January 2010, 10:26 PM   #3
rhing is online now rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

I am ready to pull the trigger on Arjen Helder's TA2020 MkIII amp module myself. He offers a set with all the connectors, input selector switch for three inputs, LEDs, and a power switch. All you need is a nice enclosure to install everything. There are some nice extruded Aluminum project boxes available on eBay at reasonable prices.

I believe that Arjen's TA2020 MkIII board has better components like the film capacitors on the input, the large Aluminum heat sink on the Tripath chip, the larger onboard power supply electrolytic capacitor, and the micro-metal core output filter inductors. If one really wants to replace some of the components with other, more expensive components, this would be easier since there's more space on the board to do so. On the other amps mentioned, the small enclosures and limited space on the PCB would make future mods more challenging. In so many words, Arjen's amp modules are more DIY-friendly, while the other amps are fine if you don'twant to fuss with the amp too much.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
Rich speaks the truth, but on top of all that reports have it that they sound first rate right out of the box!
Old 17th January 2010, 11:34 PM   #5
riky is offline riky  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhing View Post
Aluminum project boxes
what about plastic project boxes?
are aluminium project boxes better for SQ?

riky
Old 18th January 2010, 05:12 AM   #6
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Thumbs up Helder v Hlly

Just for size comparison photo shows a Helder MkIII and a Hlly (both TA2020)
BTW, the Hlly without a heat sink doesn't get hot.
The Helder is partially disassembled for upgrade, the 'Audiophiler' input caps from the Helder are now in my Topping TP20 and the tank cap is going on my Hlly
Personally I prefer metal enclosures

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1915.JPG (55.4 KB, 752 views)
Old 18th January 2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Deyan is offline Deyan  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Deyan
What about this:
Module Amplificateur - AUDIOPHONICS TA2020 V2 Module Amplificateur TRIPATH 2x20Watts
Old 18th January 2010, 11:30 AM   #8
rhing is online now rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riky View Post
thx

what about plastic project boxes?
are aluminium project boxes better for SQ?

riky
You can use plastic or wood. These amps do not require a metal enclosure. I like Aluminum, because it can partially shield any RF noise generated by the Tripath chip's high frequency switching. The enclosure material should not affect sound quality.

I am not familiar with that amplifier, but it looks very nice. It looks like it has 1.33uF film caps at the inputs rather than the typically recommended 2uF caps. It may or may not make a difference depending how low your system can go. The power supply caps look like 330uF Panasonic FC electrolytics, which are nice. However, the size and capacitance appears to be smaller than the on-board capacitance used in Arjen's amp. This wouldn't matter with the use of their very nice power supply module:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/audiophonics-s12-module-dalimentation-hifi-tamp-12v-lt1084-p-4738.html

The thru-hole Vishay resistors and Wima caps on the amp module are a nice touch too. I would like to know if anyone on this forum has heard this amp with their power supply. With these Class T amps, the power supply has a huge influence on the sound quality.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

I got a datasheet from Arjen when I placed a MKIII 2020 order, but it's file size is too large to post. If someone wants it, PM and I will send out. Has lots of close-ups.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Pirelli is offline Pirelli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks, so far.

I received an email answer from Arjen on the same question and he states that the MKIII PCB will have the best sound but he is biased.

He also think that Topping is better than Hlly but I disqualify him for that statement since I suspect that he's about to make a partnership with them.
One of his objects at ebay mentions: We will have our own brand fully finished amplifer with housing soon with all our PCBS also Valve pre-amplifer,please have a look at our newest version MKlll version TA2020 pcb and TA2024 PCB.

Maybe something to look forward for instead of modifying on my own.

/L-I

Hide this!Advertise here!