Under-powering D-class amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Under-powering D-class amp.

Supplemental question to my previous post (need some basic theory here). Assuming I use this amplifier:

4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 220508931371 end time Jan-10-10 00:42:59 PST)

and I power it with some old 100W laptop battery. Can I easily do serious damage to the amplifier, or would I just be getting way less power than I paid for?

thanks, Bill
Old 6th January 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wsmckenz-
welcome... first off I would avoid the 4x100 module. Many people have reported trouble with them. It's a little more expensive as you would need 6 of them instead of 3, but I would get their 2x100 boards.
People have been using these power supplies with success (one per board, though you could probably get away with 1 for two boards if you had to). As far as under powering the amps is concerned, they have a range of 10-36 volts if memory serves me correctly, I certainly wouldn't go outside of this range. As far as current is concerned, certainly the higher current power supply tend to sound better, but I doubt you will hurt the amp by under powering them. You might be dissapointed in the sonics though.
Joe
Old 6th January 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I'd read about some of the problems with the 4-way amp, but it looked from website like they had introduced a new model that solved some of the issues. I'll keep that in mind.

That power supply looks reasonable too.

~Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!