Super T Amp Clipping ! any suggestions ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Super T Amp Clipping ! any suggestions ?

So I've got an old Sonic Impact "Super" T Amp I used to drive a pair of Fostex 206's with. Well I've replaced the 206's with a more floorspace friendly bookshelf setup. With the 206's volume was never a problem as they were really efficient, but now with my lesser efficient bookshelfs once I crank the volume about half up I get bad clipping/ distortion/ ugly stuff. Any suggestions on a possible remedy (different output caps perhaps?). I've seen super t mods before, but no one ever mentioned terribly bad distortion like this, may the tripath chip is biting the dust.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm assuming your bookshelf speakers are much less effecient than your fostex? You are probably just running out of power, and the amp is clipping. There is no good solution to this. You need a more powerful amp, more effecient speakers, or just except the lower listening levels.
Joe
Old 4th January 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ya the bookshelf are just a pair of sonys and are considerably less efficient, i just didnt think the t amp would struggling as bad as it is. This might be a question to be posed in two completely different forums, but how do ya'll think a pair of Fonkens would match up with a gainclone setup (i've been wanting to build both)? I like the sound of the super t amp, but the distortion is killing me. Just wondering if anything might could be done to the output stage to tweak it a bit. ?
Old 5th January 2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You are just overdriving the Super-T. There is only so much power you can get out of 12 volts.

That's why the little T-Amps and little tube amps need efficient speakers. They just don't have much power.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaction View Post
Ya the bookshelf are just a pair of sonys and are considerably less efficient, i just didnt think the t amp would struggling as bad as it is. This might be a question to be posed in two completely different forums, but how do ya'll think a pair of Fonkens would match up with a gainclone setup (i've been wanting to build both)? I like the sound of the super t amp, but the distortion is killing me. Just wondering if anything might could be done to the output stage to tweak it a bit. ?
If I'm not mistaken the Fonkens are based on the fostex 127? I imagine those would go well with your T-amp. I can drive my fostex 108's with a T-amp without too much trouble, and I believe the 127's are more effecient. I don't have any first hand experience with the gainclones though so I can't comment there.
Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!