Super T Amp Clipping ! any suggestions ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've got an old Sonic Impact "Super" T Amp I used to drive a pair of Fostex 206's with. Well I've replaced the 206's with a more floorspace friendly bookshelf setup. With the 206's volume was never a problem as they were really efficient, but now with my lesser efficient bookshelfs once I crank the volume about half up I get bad clipping/ distortion/ ugly stuff. Any suggestions on a possible remedy (different output caps perhaps?). I've seen super t mods before, but no one ever mentioned terribly bad distortion like this, may the tripath chip is biting the dust.

I'm assuming your bookshelf speakers are much less effecient than your fostex? You are probably just running out of power, and the amp is clipping. There is no good solution to this. You need a more powerful amp, more effecient speakers, or just except the lower listening levels.
Joe

Ya the bookshelf are just a pair of sonys and are considerably less efficient, i just didnt think the t amp would struggling as bad as it is. This might be a question to be posed in two completely different forums, but how do ya'll think a pair of Fonkens would match up with a gainclone setup (i've been wanting to build both)? I like the sound of the super t amp, but the distortion is killing me. Just wondering if anything might could be done to the output stage to tweak it a bit. ?

Ya the bookshelf are just a pair of sonys and are considerably less efficient, i just didnt think the t amp would struggling as bad as it is. This might be a question to be posed in two completely different forums, but how do ya'll think a pair of Fonkens would match up with a gainclone setup (i've been wanting to build both)? I like the sound of the super t amp, but the distortion is killing me. Just wondering if anything might could be done to the output stage to tweak it a bit. ?

If I'm not mistaken the Fonkens are based on the fostex 127? I imagine those would go well with your T-amp. I can drive my fostex 108's with a T-amp without too much trouble, and I believe the 127's are more effecient. I don't have any first hand experience with the gainclones though so I can't comment there.
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.