ucd400 st or coldamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

While engineering has no political correction factor, commercial forums such as this most certainly do. Given that, it would be best if perhaps you explained your assertion of their equivalence. We may then look to the third party measurements one manufacturer was embarrassed by, but as they provide none of their own it's the most we've got to work with when making an informed decision. Following that can be a discussion on the perils of poor layout decisions in a class d environment, as someone who had a forum design over 90% of their product is likely to make. Much of that you can spot with the naked eye if you know what to look for. Putzeys has an article detailing these very things, which was inspired by this very amp.

Glt, I would put no faith in that. It's too much akin to saying if you cut everybody's legs off at the knees we'd all be the same (?). Somehow it just denies big picture.

Session, bear in mind the ST was the basis for the HG. The HG is quite a bit nicer, but they share the very same solid foundation. The HG is demonstrative of the kind of potential the ST holds if you're so inclined.

In stock form it has all the desirable features of an audio amplifier that many others struggle with like flat load independent frequency response, and virtually load independent low distortion. Critical to performance and somewhat rare in the field as its mastery over EMI. That translates to higher sound quality and ease of use from (ab)user perspective.

The main steps required to take it well beyond the standard or even the AD quality level would be a high quality, well regulated auxiliary supply to feed the input stage with, and of course addressing the electrolytic AC coupling capacitor issue. These are both simple and affordable as you really don't have to go all out on expensive or exotic components to reap the majority of the benefits from doing it. It is unlikely that "alternatives" have such potential to unlock at all, let alone so simply, and it's the combination of everything that makes the choice so obvious. Even the ST can still be a giant killer.

Still the same... getting bored.
My only answer is: wait one month and have a look at the three new products we (coldamp) are going to launch, then decide.

Come now sergio, play with me.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...oon-available.html?postid=1135335#post1135335

Note the date? You've been saying "one month" since then, and feature at least a dozen posts spamming it throughout that period of time. Is it harder to design things yourself?

As you say, still the same, completely bored.

Ampliozone: Coldamp Plans to Offer 750W Class-D Amp Module

Salut mon ami

Glt, I would put no faith in that. It's too much akin to saying if you cut everybody's legs off at the knees we'd all be the same (?). Somehow it just denies big picture.

I find that bgt if one of few people that have tested different class D designs. To me he is saying that "if every one is wearing the same shoes, they'll be the same" The big picture is that it is very hard to tell the differences...

Hi, Ltralus. Let's play a bit more.

This time you are completely right, and what you say is true. Can't tell the opposite.

The fact is that we announced the launching of the new 700W module a long time ago, but for some reasons (you don't know our circunstances) we had to move to more urgent tasks, so we had to delay its launch, even when it was 95% complete by that moment. We took the opportunity to renew our series of amplifiers and now they are truly ready, in fact we have some production units of each new product ready to be sold.

Hope we haven't deceived our proud customers in this sense.

We haven't announced them in our website (we have invested a lot of work on it, too) because this time we want to do things better.

BTW: won't go into this further, it has been discussed hundreds of times here, we fully design each and every of our products. So if you find them good, nice for us. If not, our culprit, so go anywhere else and buy another thing. But next time you critizice something be sure to have tested it before, if you haven't, this is not fair.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.