Best TA2020 Amp On Ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a modified Sure TA2024 board and I also have a modified Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-amp based on the TA2024 amp chip. I believe the TA2020 will provide an extra bit of headroom over the TA2024. I am sure that although they both have that Tripath house sound, both have their individual flavors. However, the general consensus seems that T-amps based on the TA2020 are better (e.g., Charlize, Charlize II, 41Hz Amp 6 and Amp 6 Basic, King Rex, etc.). I plan on trying Arjen's TA2020 module.

Opinions wanted...

Better to go with the Mk2 or the Mk3...?

Is it just me, or doesn't the Mk2 seem to have better numbers when compared to the Mk3.

TIA

Apparently, there is a Mk2 and a Mk3 version of Arjen's TA2020 T-amp module. According to the eBay listing, the improvements over the Mk2 PCB are:
  • Bigger board size for more space to replace components
  • Bigger output coils, with Micrometals T68-1 Torrodial core for a much improved transient response
  • Signal lights for power and overload are separately connected with connectors (included)
  • AC and DC power input supported (rectifier onboard)
  • Copper mounting studs for easy mounting in the housing
The bigger output coils alone would be worth the extra cost for the Mk3 PCB.

I for one am stumbling along at best with info regarding T-amps, and appreciate your guidance.

Honestly... when the MkIII was mentioned eariler I didn't realize that there were two different chips carrying that same title. Nobody's mistake other than my own, but now that Arjen's Ebay site is back up, it's easy enough to see the correlation.. Unfortunately the TA2020 MkIII most likely would have suited my needs more appropriately. Fortunately Arjen's kits are so well priced, I'll most like end up picking up that Mk3 as well.

Smokinghot:- I am not sure these amplifers are a good choice for speaker testing. I think that they have quite high output impedance which tends to interact with the speaker inductance causing frequency response variation. Typically they roll of at high frequencies. This may lead to inacurate measurements of the speaker if you are then going to use it with a low output impedance amplifer.

You might be better off with a class AB chipamp kit such as a LM1875.

I am not certain on this so perhaps someone with a bit more experience of these amplifers could clarify if they are suitable or not.

Regards,
Andrew

I am not sure these amplifers are a good choice for speaker testing. I think that they have quite high output impedance which tends to interact with the speaker inductance causing frequency response variation. Typically they roll of at high frequencies.

That actually explains some things...lol. I have a co-workers Trends in my possession, and was trying it out with my rig. It did exactly what you're describing on the top end. I was blaming it on my temp set-up. Thanks for the clarity.

You might be better off with a class AB chipamp kit such as a LM1875.

Thanks, I'll look into that as well....:cheers:

All Right Now..Arjen has a Mk2 & the Mk3 TA2020 Board..I have a Mk2, that for $28 Sounds Great!..For $40 you can get a Mk3, with the Nice Coils...The choice is Yours..Or, you can also get a MK2 and Buy a Set of OutPut Coils from Him for $10 and DIY...Either way, as far as I Hear, the MK2 really sounds Nice for the Price..And, the Whole Trick is that you have to run them off a Samsung 14v 4A Monitor Adapter..It will make your Windows Shake..

TA2024 is 9 watt output and TA2020 is 10 watt. Not much difference. Neither of these chips should be used for speaker testing because the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.

The difference in power is larger than that. In practice the diiference is also larger from what you could expect from the specs.

Now the TA2024 is also capable of driving a lot of speakers to normal listening levels but will start distortion much earlier than the TA2020 (or TA2021B which is the smd equivalent)

All things equal I would advice the TA2020 (TA2021B) over the TA2024.

Having said that, my brother is running a TA2024 to drive significant floorstanders and enjoys it a lot

Hey guys, I got the Arjen MK3 and am impressed by the build quality. I have yet to hook it up. I also have the modded sure TA2024 for comparison. My question is thus: I got the switch mode power supply Arjen sells for use with the TA2020. Would it be advisable to have this power supply in the same case? I figure I can keep them about 6 inches apart in my wooden case. Otherwise, I will box up the power supply seperately. I prefer to have them as one unit, but if there is any chance that it may adversely affect performance, I'd like to know.

I can add that the insulated speaker jacks and rca jacks he is selling are very nice quality, not the absolute cheapest, but it does seem he is somewhat selective about what he chooses to sell.

the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.

I bought 7 TA2020s from arjen back in November. I am using them for my portable bike audio system and they are all that and a sack of potatoes! I just hooked them up and nothing else. Here are a few questions. What makes the LEDs come on? Mine never do. Can they be bridged? How? What is the highest voltage before shutdown? What is the highest voltage before chip destruction? How can the volume be adjusted without installing a proper potentiometer? Is full volme the default?

the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.

I bought 7 TA2020s from arjen back in November. I am using them for my portable bike audio system and they are all that and a sack of potatoes! I just hooked them up and nothing else. Here are a few questions. What makes the LEDs come on? Mine never do. Can they be bridged? How? What is the highest voltage before shutdown? What is the highest voltage before chip destruction? How can the volume be adjusted without installing a proper potentiometer? Is full volme the default?

Btw since these are on bikes, and each bike has only one speaker,
each amp only uses the right channel. So is there a way to use both channels on one speaker? My speakers are FE126, 22w rms and I am guessing the TA2020 is puting 9-12w into it. It would be cool if I could get 22w. That would equal anoher 3db. Thx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.