Best TA2020 Amp On Ebay - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2010, 02:05 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Hi Roma. The 2020 will work well with pretty much any speakers, it is not too fussed by difficult loads etc, but you won't get much volume unless they are reasonably efficient.

Anything over 90 db per watt will probably give enough volume for virtually all purposes.

These amps will be a great match for efficient single driver systems and I imagine they would work particularly well with horn loaded systems, have a look at the one of the forums that specialize in single driver systems, there are a huge array of possibilities and many are quite cheap.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:59 PM   #82
Roma is offline Roma  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you guys recommend this kit for TA2020 and for my next project Elekit TU-879S?
Thanks!
Old 7th April 2010, 02:37 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

I have the transmission line version of the doctor ks and like them very much. The guy uses "average mans" components for the cross over so its relativity cheap compaired to the designs that have 3x the cost of the drivers in just the crossover. Please remember that this model has some deep bass but recessed vocals.

Before you dive into the $800 kit if this is going to be a first timer build, i would get the $200 trix to start you off. I have these as well and they are a great party speaker that are well manured.

Parts Express DIY Project

If you can make your own cabinet I highly recomend the new black box. It has their new sealed mid and a nice single 10" woofer, all in a small sealed cab. Very clean sounding.

Parts Express DIY Project
Old 7th April 2010, 04:38 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

...well first speakers are to big for my room, second ones is to expensive.
Anyway, thanks for your help!
Old 7th April 2010, 05:36 AM   #85
mfong is offline mfong  United States
diyAudio Member

I noticed that the 10" 3 way has a sensitivity of 85 db. That might be a bit low for this amp. I have no direct experience with the speaker though.
Old 7th April 2010, 01:28 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

The 10" ones can be made for half the price if you just use dayton audio caps and coils (he uses $400 in just high end 200uf caps) so thats in your budget.

The trix can be ordered with just the kit without the boxes for $120 a pair, then select the mtm cabinets from the doctor K's and you have a nice silk dome setup for less then half the price.

Yes the 10" is a little low on the efficiency end, but if you look at the charts its extremely flat and a very small box. Also he does 1w1m, if you did the other standard of 2.83V/1m it would be 88db. And he has a small room...
Old 9th April 2010, 02:14 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
The 10" ones can be made for half the price if you just use dayton audio caps and coils (he uses $400 in just high end 200uf caps) so thats in your budget.

The trix can be ordered with just the kit without the boxes for $120 a pair, then select the mtm cabinets from the doctor K's and you have a nice silk dome setup for less then half the price.

Yes the 10" is a little low on the efficiency end, but if you look at the charts its extremely flat and a very small box. Also he does 1w1m, if you did the other standard of 2.83V/1m it would be 88db. And he has a small room...
Thanks for your help. I will go with second setup, I like Doctor K's box more.
Hope this setup will sound good, because this speakers looks cheap to me..
May be I can install to this box better drivers? Any ideas? Sorry for all questions, I'm new here. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 9th April 2010, 02:57 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

It all depends on what sound you like. Its a love hate with the reference r28 tweeter in the dr k's. Alot of people wont use it because it wont behave in some setups. In other setups it sounds very good if the proper cross over is used.

In terms if the trix sounds good. Its in rev 3 right now and has been kicking **** for 10 years now and is a proven setup.

If you want something inbetween the $800 reference setup and the $200 classic series, you could try the aluminum type such as the DA175-8 and DC25TS-8.

Other then that you could just get a kit $350:
Parts-Express.comayton RS621BK Speaker Kit Pair Gloss Black | speaker kit kit rs621 monitor speaker two way speaker monitor Encore speakersubwooferkits

Its just a dr k with 1 6" woofer instead of 2 7" woofers.
Old 9th April 2010, 03:31 AM   #89
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfong View Post
Arjen doesn't include schematics, but I think they're available in past threads here and he's quite good about getting back to you about specific questions.
I've now built 3 of the 2020 boards and have been very pleased. I matched one to a Sony ES player from the early 90's and a 2 way set of speakers using an accuton ceramic tweeter and a cabase 6.5" woofer in a corian pyramid and was genuinely shocked. I'd thought of my speakers as an expensive failure, but they're a great match for the 2020.
What was the sp. ft. on the 6" enclosure, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to box up two 6.5" full range speakers, but don't know how much room they need...

Thanks,
Nicholas G.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:23 PM   #90
mfong is offline mfong  United States
diyAudio Member

I think I used 24 liters which is like 7/8 of a square foot. You then have to subtract the size of the drivers inside the box, the vent, the crossover (if it's inside) etc. to get a volume. The figure's not going to help you though unless you're working with an identical woofer.

You might want to google Thiele/Small parameters T/S if you're going with a vented or ported enclosure. It'll give you some sense of how box volume, port size, and driver interrelate. I think it's still in print, Vance Dickason wrote a very straightforward guide to DIY loudspeaker design many years ago. It's also a good place to start.

My one lesson after years of doing this is that it's cost me way more not less to do it myself with my projects, but I've learned more and had more fun in the process. I made so many mistakes when I had no idea I was making a mistake, bought things I never used, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!