Best TA2020 Amp On Ebay - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2010, 05:29 AM   #31
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member

All Right Now..Arjen has a Mk2 & the Mk3 TA2020 Board..I have a Mk2, that for $28 Sounds Great!..For $40 you can get a Mk3, with the Nice Coils...The choice is Yours..Or, you can also get a MK2 and Buy a Set of OutPut Coils from Him for $10 and DIY...Either way, as far as I Hear, the MK2 really sounds Nice for the Price..And, the Whole Trick is that you have to run them off a Samsung 14v 4A Monitor Adapter..It will make your Windows Shake..
Old 31st January 2010, 05:51 AM   #32
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey...Forget about the TA2024 Board...It's a T-amp...6W /Ch @12V Tops...the TA2020 Totally Stomps it at 10W/CH @14V at Least, and has World Acclaim as being a 'Best Chip'
Old 31st January 2010, 08:18 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

TA2024 is 9 watt output and TA2020 is 10 watt. Not much difference. Neither of these chips should be used for speaker testing because the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.
Old 31st January 2010, 03:26 PM   #34
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4412wilt View Post
TA2024 is 9 watt output and TA2020 is 10 watt. Not much difference. Neither of these chips should be used for speaker testing because the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.
The difference in power is larger than that. In practice the diiference is also larger from what you could expect from the specs.

Now the TA2024 is also capable of driving a lot of speakers to normal listening levels but will start distortion much earlier than the TA2020 (or TA2021B which is the smd equivalent)

All things equal I would advice the TA2020 (TA2021B) over the TA2024.

Having said that, my brother is running a TA2024 to drive significant floorstanders and enjoys it a lot
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:33 PM   #35
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, I got the Arjen MK3 and am impressed by the build quality. I have yet to hook it up. I also have the modded sure TA2024 for comparison. My question is thus: I got the switch mode power supply Arjen sells for use with the TA2020. Would it be advisable to have this power supply in the same case? I figure I can keep them about 6 inches apart in my wooden case. Otherwise, I will box up the power supply seperately. I prefer to have them as one unit, but if there is any chance that it may adversely affect performance, I'd like to know.

I can add that the insulated speaker jacks and rca jacks he is selling are very nice quality, not the absolute cheapest, but it does seem he is somewhat selective about what he chooses to sell.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:22 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Where were you a month ago

My MkIII 2024 just showed up, and I have to say that I'm really impressed by the build quality.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:04 PM   #37
Brotaku is offline Brotaku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.
I bought 7 TA2020s from arjen back in November. I am using them for my portable bike audio system and they are all that and a sack of potatoes! I just hooked them up and nothing else. Here are a few questions. What makes the LEDs come on? Mine never do. Can they be bridged? How? What is the highest voltage before shutdown? What is the highest voltage before chip destruction? How can the volume be adjusted without installing a proper potentiometer? Is full volme the default?
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:17 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the output grounds cannot be connected together and are not related to the input ground.
I bought 7 TA2020s from arjen back in November. I am using them for my portable bike audio system and they are all that and a sack of potatoes! I just hooked them up and nothing else. Here are a few questions. What makes the LEDs come on? Mine never do. Can they be bridged? How? What is the highest voltage before shutdown? What is the highest voltage before chip destruction? How can the volume be adjusted without installing a proper potentiometer? Is full volme the default?
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:06 PM   #39
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Might be a good idea to inspect the heat sink on the main chip, I found several long strips of aluminum slivers left over from machining.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:52 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Btw since these are on bikes, and each bike has only one speaker,
each amp only uses the right channel. So is there a way to use both channels on one speaker? My speakers are FE126, 22w rms and I am guessing the TA2020 is puting 9-12w into it. It would be cool if I could get 22w. That would equal anoher 3db. Thx

Hide this!Advertise here!