Best TA2020 Amp On Ebay - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:10 AM   #101
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Hi Gang,

Just thought I'd jump on to this thread and bung in my two cents worth...

This am I received a TA2020 amp from the postie, turfed my SET tube amp to one side and hooked him up. That they work at all for the price (AUD$38.00 to door), and for the small size, is remarkable. What's more remarkable is that this little thing fair rocks.. I'm using a Adcom GCD 575 cd player and a pair of small quarter wave speakers with Fostex FE 103 full range drivers.

With the volume set to no more than 9 oclock, this amp pushes out more than enough, and seems to be getting louder by the minute for the same setting. The sound is a little silibant but I've read elsewhere that this should soften with use. I'm not seriously listening to the set up, just letting it idle along for a few hours to see if in fact the tizz drops off. I can tell you though that the sound is remarkable, and even casual listening with very familiar tracks reveals all sorts of nuances. Surprisingly the bass seems very good too considering the small amount of tank capacitance on board. The input capacitors are 2.2UF 250v Evox box films, and it might pay to perhaps change them over for something a bit flashier...or not.

This amp is an SMSI, but when I peered inside, Lo! the board is an Amptastic. Now, I understand that Amptastic uses rebadged SMSI's with upgraded componentry. I might have been lucky then to score a rebadge by mistake, with upgraded board.

Listening now to the thing as I plonk away on this 'puter I can't see me being any happier with this amp, though I've owned it for less than two hours. Time will tell if, like me, it improves with age.

Just buy one, but try for the SMSI TA2020 on Ebay and you might score an upgrade as I did, and for the price, well, what's AUD$38.00? It's nowt these days. Even if it didn't work, it's still cheap


Cheers, Martin
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:09 AM   #102
diyAudio Member
 
blakkshepeaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Country Victoria Australia
Care to provide a link Martin? I almost can't resist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:26 AM   #103
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
TA2020 SA-36A Tripath Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi B
TA2020 SA-36A Tripath Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi B

Don't know if thats a proper link or not. Try it...'

If not try the above in the search box. The seller is "ssszhenlink" and it's AUD$39 odd with free delivery, about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:15 AM   #104
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
NB, Use efficient speakers folks, preferably crossoverless full range, or Lowthers et al, something that runs on the smell of an oily rag, to give these little amps a chance. I believe they will be fine performers...
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 06:41 AM   #105
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
please forgive the old thread revival, but was wondering what you guys/girls thoughts are for the best ta2020 amp (kit or built) available today (2013)?

any of these have features missing you would have liked to have seen?

im currently hobbying along with a few ta2020 based amps and am curious to see if i've missed anything out etc.

cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:14 PM   #106
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINSA View Post
please forgive the old thread revival, but was wondering what you guys/girls thoughts are for the best ta2020 amp (kit or built) available today (2013)?

any of these have features missing you would have liked to have seen?

im currently hobbying along with a few ta2020 based amps and am curious to see if i've missed anything out etc.

cheers!
I hope it is still Arjens because I just sprung for a MKiii. I tossed in one of his switching power supplies and his Bluetooth enabled ta2024 boards as well. Just be prepared for shipping costs...I am paying $60 to ship all that to the US.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:12 PM   #107
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: vancouver
IMO.. you've bet on the wrong horse. Yesterdays' news. IMO Overpriced and Mediocre.
Plus, as you noted he (his Chinese suppliers) even charge large for shipping. Where his competitors ship for less or even Free :-)
But hopefully it will prove acceptable... no choices left now.

Last edited by Bare; 2nd March 2013 at 04:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:25 PM   #108
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
IMO.. you've bet on the wrong horse. Yesterdays' news. IMO Overpriced and Mediocre.
Plus, as you noted he (his Chinese suppliers) even charge large for shipping. Where his competitors ship for less or even Free :-)
But hopefully it will prove acceptable... no choices left now.
So what is the new standard? Before arjen's I was leaning toward one of the Indeed amps...those looked very nice for the price.

I was also looking at the dta100 from Parts Express and the various Topping amps, but I kinda wanted to semi build one for the experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 08:46 PM   #109
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I went for the Muse M20 EX2. I found it great for modding as you have some space for adding larger components like power caps and Micrometals core inductors. I also replaced just about everything minus the diodes. All but one, Dale resistors. The power caps are Panasonic FM 2200uf/16V or 25V, I forgot... Output caps are actually on the backside between the case and pcb. Tight spot but I chose WIMA caps that are real flat and fit perfect. All input/output/power caps are bypassed with Vishay MKP1837 0,01uF. I bypassed the volume pot altogether. Also this amp has DC offset trimming pots and I managed to get the offset down to 0.5-1mV on both channels. I also replaced the protection relays with 3A rated ones. I got them for free from the same company that the original ones were, because the original ones were 2A rated. As I'm using 8 ohm speaker I don't think that will ever be a problem.
here's the link to the one that I got
Muse Audio 20WX2 M20 EX TA2020 T Amp Stereo Amplifier S | eBay
I don't have any affiliation with the seller, I'm just a satisfied customer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta.jpg (533.0 KB, 268 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 09:54 PM   #110
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rhing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trileru View Post
I went for the Muse M20 EX2. I found it great for modding as you have some space for adding larger components like power caps and Micrometals core inductors. I also replaced just about everything minus the diodes. All but one, Dale resistors. The power caps are Panasonic FM 2200uf/16V or 25V, I forgot... Output caps are actually on the backside between the case and pcb. Tight spot but I chose WIMA caps that are real flat and fit perfect. All input/output/power caps are bypassed with Vishay MKP1837 0,01uF. I bypassed the volume pot altogether. Also this amp has DC offset trimming pots and I managed to get the offset down to 0.5-1mV on both channels. I also replaced the protection relays with 3A rated ones. I got them for free from the same company that the original ones were, because the original ones were 2A rated. As I'm using 8 ohm speaker I don't think that will ever be a problem.
here's the link to the one that I got
Muse Audio 20WX2 M20 EX TA2020 T Amp Stereo Amplifier S | eBay
I don't have any affiliation with the seller, I'm just a satisfied customer.
Very nice work. which WIMA caps did you use (e.g., MKP, MKS, MKT)? What is the lead spacing on those caps (5mm, 10mm)? If you have the WIMA or Mouser part numbers, that would be best.

Many thanks,

Rich
__________________
Rich
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 Fin Class D 1921 10th July 2014 05:25 AM
Zero T-amp TA2020 (eBay) superR Class D 10 23rd September 2010 01:31 PM
FS: T-amp TA2020 igor0203 Swap Meet 0 11th December 2009 06:27 AM
New Ta2020 Amp From Taiwan jtjames Vendor's Bazaar 17 1st March 2007 09:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2