TK2050 Extremely successful modifications -- list, pics, review

You are not selling the amps? You have two Cigar box amps up now on this site and on eBay for $350. About $100 in components and $250 for "your efforts".

Now if you were Nelson Pass or John Curl, would have no issues paying the $250. Do you even know who these two gentlemen are?

We all enjoy mods/tweaks, but we also are proponents to the diy spirit, not trying to make a fast buck. Admit you have something financial to gain here.

Let me take the time to answer your questions individually.

a. Yes, I am selling those amps you mentioned.
b. They are not "about $100" in components, or anywhere close to that figure.

a. They are not $250 in profit, or anywhere close to that figure.
b. Absolutely, I've built a John Curl preamp and a BOZ preamp, read various white papers, exchanged emails with Pass, etc. They aren't exactly the most eclectic men in audio.

3. This thread was made purely in the DIY spirit, as the large TK2050 thread doesn't exactly allow quick access to successful mod lists.

Other facts:
-Did I link my amps here? No. This is my personal amplifier that I have modded.
-These exact mods are $50 in parts from mouser.
-I don't sell modded amps, and I even say that "I was not impressed" with the very version amp that I am selling.

So please, come back and ask me to "admit financial gain" :rolleyes:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I've built a John Curl preamp and a BOZ preamp, read various white papers, exchanged emails with Pass, etc. They aren't exactly the most eclectic men in audio.

Wow. I hope you never plan on getting any useful advice on this forum again, as you likely lost any remaining respect from this audience. Do you fart in Church too?

+ a good volume control + knob + switch + wiring + XLR charger socket + an auto-charger + a few hours of labor + a little bit of profit margin. It's really not unreasonable.

Your words. I trust they taste as good as your "Extremely Modded" amp sounds....

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Difference, $250......Profit.....

Ho-Hum.....

To be realistic, you need to make a sale in order to make a profit and it appears he hasn't.
Profit is what is left after all expenses are paid, including the manufacturing cost (ie: your own effort - is it worth nothing?).

Quite a few people make $250 or more in one hour for doing considerably less.

Wow. I hope you never plan on getting any useful advice on this forum again, as you likely lost any remaining respect from this audience.

I doubt that.

$50 for the board....
$50 in parts.....

Sale at $350....

Difference, $250......Profit.....

Ho-Hum.....

You can say that it costs $100 to build as much as you like, it wont change the fact that it doesn't. You're simply making up a number without truly considering all the parts and their costs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As John says, I don't think Grip is making a killing. They aren't flying off the shelf.

But as he has put the amp up here for comment, so comment is due. Eva made some good points and perhaps these could be explored further. Most of us are here to learn. Class-D isn't the easiest thing in the world, so it's great to point out what works well and what does not. It isn't common knowledge.

But no need to get nasty about it, right?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Quite a few people make $250 or more in one hour for doing considerably less.

Sure, but not off the backs of the helpful and knowledgeable folks here...(of course we know better)

I may be interested if the Cigar box amps if the boxes were, say, filled with Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4 cigars...actually, you can leave the amp out and just send me the 'gars.

All kidding aside, you really need to think about where you are going with this.

BTW - I am a big Tripath Fan....and liked them so much I bought thousands of shares - now worthless shares - of Tripath stock... now a big owner of Cirrus Logic - they now own all the IP of Tripath...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I may be interested if the Cigar box amps if the boxes were, say, filled with Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4 cigars..

I like where that is going. :D Mostly a Punch man myself, but I've had some mighty tasty Arturos, too. Gives a new meaning to "Burning Amp."

I'm willing to cut Grip some slack. He may not be doing it right, but a least he's doing it! A lot more than so many can say.....

OK, back to the topic... seeing as I would really appreciate a thread as gripracer has described, consolidating all of the best mods people have done to this board, for quick reference.

I'm ABOUT to purchase the 2 channel sure board and an SMPS and I want to order all of the parts for modding at the same time, so I need to figure out what those are.

Seeing as how gripracer's mods aren't entirely agreeable... how about different people giving input as to what mods they would do to the board?

How about a simple (numbered) list of mods, in order of importance, and the parts required for the mod.

Also... question. I'm looking at this SMPS :
36V DC 9.7A 349.2W Regulated Switching Power Supply_Industrial Power Adapter_Boxed Industrial Power Adapter and Chargers and Transformers_Measure Power Adapters_Sure Electronics' Webstore
It's the meanwell 36v 9.3A. Buuuut... it switches at 25khz. Is this going to be a problem? In another thread I noticed a guy was using a 24v Meanwell that switched at 70khz. I really need the full 36 volts though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have a cruise thru Ebay and look for COSEL brand supplies. They are very well made and very $$$ when new, but there are always some used ones for sale on the bay.

Cosel have extensive docs on their website, so you should be able to tell what's for sale by looking it up.

Have a cruise thru Ebay and look for COSEL brand supplies. They are very well made and very $$$ when new, but there are always some used ones for sale on the bay.

Cosel have extensive docs on their website, so you should be able to tell what's for sale by looking it up.

This might not help Artcore, since he says he wants 36v, but I have a spare 24v Cosel SMPS if someone is looking. I bought two from an ebay auction but only wound up needing one. It's 150 watt, model LDA150-24. Here's Cosel's full test report on it: http://www.cosel.co.jp/dl/dl.php3?f=lda150w-24-100v.pdf&k2=D1&ext=.pdf&d=LDA&s=LDA150W . The two cost me $36 delivered, so if someone wants it, I'd pass it on at $18 + S&H. (If it's inappropriate to post this here, I apologize! From panomaniac's comment, I thought it might be helpful to someone.)

Mike - IMO, they are better than a $72 TKD conductive plastic, and certainly better than an ALPS "blue velvet" or RK097. Those are the only three I have tested it against.

It also sounds very similar to using a pair of CMF55 Vishay/Dale 1% 50ppm resistors in the signal path. In other words, I don't think they can be beat for the $.

I really want to test them against the real thing to see what they'd be like. Probably not much difference.