TK2050 Extremely successful modifications -- list, pics, review - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
You are not selling the amps? You have two Cigar box amps up now on this site and on eBay for $350. About $100 in components and $250 for "your efforts".

Now if you were Nelson Pass or John Curl, would have no issues paying the $250. Do you even know who these two gentlemen are?

We all enjoy mods/tweaks, but we also are proponents to the diy spirit, not trying to make a fast buck. Admit you have something financial to gain here.
Let me take the time to answer your questions individually.

a. Yes, I am selling those amps you mentioned.
b. They are not "about $100" in components, or anywhere close to that figure.

a. They are not $250 in profit, or anywhere close to that figure.
b. Absolutely, I've built a John Curl preamp and a BOZ preamp, read various white papers, exchanged emails with Pass, etc. They aren't exactly the most eclectic men in audio.

3. This thread was made purely in the DIY spirit, as the large TK2050 thread doesn't exactly allow quick access to successful mod lists.

Other facts:
-Did I link my amps here? No. This is my personal amplifier that I have modded.
-These exact mods are $50 in parts from mouser.
-I don't sell modded amps, and I even say that "I was not impressed" with the very version amp that I am selling.

So please, come back and ask me to "admit financial gain"
Old 12th December 2009, 10:24 PM   #22
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've built a John Curl preamp and a BOZ preamp, read various white papers, exchanged emails with Pass, etc. They aren't exactly the most eclectic men in audio.
Wow. I hope you never plan on getting any useful advice on this forum again, as you likely lost any remaining respect from this audience. Do you fart in Church too?

Quote:
+ a good volume control + knob + switch + wiring + XLR charger socket + an auto-charger + a few hours of labor + a little bit of profit margin. It's really not unreasonable.
Your words. I trust they taste as good as your "Extremely Modded" amp sounds....

Last edited by john65b; 12th December 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

$50 for the board....
$50 in parts.....

Sale at $350....

Difference, $250......Profit.....

Ho-Hum.....
Old 12th December 2009, 10:31 PM   #24
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post

Ho-Hum.....
To be realistic, you need to make a sale in order to make a profit and it appears he hasn't.
Profit is what is left after all expenses are paid, including the manufacturing cost (ie: your own effort - is it worth nothing?).

Quite a few people make $250 or more in one hour for doing considerably less.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:37 PM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Wow. I hope you never plan on getting any useful advice on this forum again, as you likely lost any remaining respect from this audience.
I doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post
$50 for the board....
$50 in parts.....

Sale at $350....

Ho-Hum.....
You can say that it costs $100 to build as much as you like, it wont change the fact that it doesn't. You're simply making up a number without truly considering all the parts and their costs.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:38 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
To be realistic, you need to make a sale in order to make a profit and it appears he hasn't.
Profit is what is left after all expenses are paid, including the manufacturing cost (ie: your own effort - is it worth nothing?).

ty sir.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:40 PM   #27
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As John says, I don't think Grip is making a killing. They aren't flying off the shelf.

But as he has put the amp up here for comment, so comment is due. Eva made some good points and perhaps these could be explored further. Most of us are here to learn. Class-D isn't the easiest thing in the world, so it's great to point out what works well and what does not. It isn't common knowledge.

But no need to get nasty about it, right?
Old 12th December 2009, 10:47 PM   #28
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sure, but not off the backs of the helpful and knowledgeable folks here...(of course we know better)

I may be interested if the Cigar box amps if the boxes were, say, filled with Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4 cigars...actually, you can leave the amp out and just send me the 'gars.

All kidding aside, you really need to think about where you are going with this.

BTW - I am a big Tripath Fan....and liked them so much I bought thousands of shares - now worthless shares - of Tripath stock... now a big owner of Cirrus Logic - they now own all the IP of Tripath...

Last edited by john65b; 12th December 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:55 PM   #29
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I may be interested if the Cigar box amps if the boxes were, say, filled with Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4 cigars..
I like where that is going. Mostly a Punch man myself, but I've had some mighty tasty Arturos, too. Gives a new meaning to "Burning Amp."

I'm willing to cut Grip some slack. He may not be doing it right, but a least he's doing it! A lot more than so many can say.....
Old 12th December 2009, 10:58 PM   #30
Banned

john, I am taking nothing from anyone's back. any knowledge I have gained here was given freely. You're acting like I'm forcing people to buy my amp. The only person who has plugged my amplifier has been you.

Hide this!Advertise here!