TK2050 Extremely successful modifications -- list, pics, review - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I'm eyeing this thing for my next amp/project and this sure looks positive.

The heatsink looks like a standard one that can be found on mainboards/graphics card. An aftermarket heatsink that works with variable distance between mounting holes won't be free, but sure would look cool. And stay cool.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th December 2009, 12:35 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
I'm eyeing this thing for my next amp/project and this sure looks positive.

The heatsink looks like a standard one that can be found on mainboards/graphics card. An aftermarket heatsink that works with variable distance between mounting holes won't be free, but sure would look cool. And stay cool.

[]http://www.zalman.co.kr/DataFile/product/ZM-NB32K_01_m(0).jpg[/IMG]
Hi, I've already done this with the Alu heatsink that they make, works great:

It gets warm but not too hot...

Audio1st: Where did you buy your enamelled wire from in the UK? I've seen some on e-bay but I'm not really sure if it's any good!

Last edited by MikeHunt79; 12th December 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripracer View Post
With an input-cap-mod/24v battery TK2050 board, I was not impressed. Only the midrange was good. I switched back to my Gainclone.

With this fully-modded/24v battery TK2050, I will never use my Gainclone on my main system again. I would put my TK2050 up against the RWA Signature 30.2 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I now own a truly ultra-fi amplifier. I have never heard anything like it. I will not bore you with terms like "liquid highs" -- it is simply the best amplifier I have ever heard.

Mod List:
Power: 2x12v 5ah SLA batteries, wired in series.
Input Stage: DACT-Style 10k stepped pot, 2.2uf 250v Aerovox AFPS input caps, C17 R14 C25 R34 Removed, Limiters (on the bottom of the RCA jacks) removed.
Output Stage: 10uH 68-1 Toroidal coils, .47uf 160v MKP10 differential-caps, .22uf 100v MKP2 common-caps. Low-pass is about 71Khz at 8ohm.

Supporting Mods:

-Tank capacitors changed to 2x 2200uf 35v Nichicon Fine Gold
-Tank bypass film caps changed to WIMA MKP2 .22uf 100v
-TC2000 chip capacitors changed to 100uf 35v Nichicon Fine Gold, 100uf 25v Muse KZ

Note: The output stage is just as important if not more so than the input stage. People generally upgrade their input stage first, as it's cheaper/easier, but the parts on your output filter are just as important!

Also, upgrade signal path parts first, then do power cap mods!

Congratulations, you have destroyed the amplifier.

It's still working because it's low power and it can handle the huge amount of parasitic inductances that you added (for the moment ), but electromagnetic radiation may have increased around ten times.

If you did similar modifications to any high power class D circuit (or something less forgiving like UcD), it would explode next time the volume is turned up for some time.

The most ridiculous part are the big class D output capacitors attached with wires to the PCB. This filter is intended to provide 12dB/oct attenuation up to 10Mhz, to prevent RF from reaching speaker wires (antennas!), but now it's giving up below 1Mhz due to the parasitic inductance that you added.

Replacing three SMD electrolytics, which are paralleled for reducing inductance and preventing resonances, by a big axial electrolytic, which is the highest inductance type, is also an award winning dumb idea. Inductance is typically 1nH per mm of terminal spacing. The big axial cap is around 20 times more inductive than the three small ones in parallel (which where there for a good reason).

The huge input capacitors are also funny because they act as antennas and pick up all the RF radiated by the rest of the circuit due to the modifications (plus any ambient RF willing to disturb the input op-amps).

Last edited by Eva; 12th December 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12th December 2009, 07:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 View Post

Audio1st: Where did you buy your enamelled wire from in the UK? I've seen some on e-bay but I'm not really sure if it's any good!
Hi Mike,
it simply came from good old Maplin..
Old 12th December 2009, 10:26 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Now Eva, how is he supposed to sell these boards if you make comments like those.

IMHO this thread is just an advertisement.

BTW, these modding threads about simple cap replacements are getting really old. How many more do we need?

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 12th December 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Banned

i'm not currently selling these boards with mods. this is a thread for people to quickly access a successful mod list

also, non-cynical people enjoy these threads

Last edited by gripracer; 12th December 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I think having all the mods summed up in a concise thread is nice, despite there now being 2 threads about this board now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1st View Post
Hi Mike,
it simply came from good old Maplin..
Thanks, I think I'll pick some up today and give some aircores a go.

Last edited by MikeHunt79; 12th December 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:33 PM   #18
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

You are not selling the amps? You have two Cigar box amps up now on this site and on eBay for $350. About $100 in components and $250 for "your efforts".
new Battery powered TK2050 Amps! 2 right now, I might build more later.

Now if you were Nelson Pass or John Curl, would have no issues paying the $250. Do you even know who these two gentlemen are?

This is nothing more than a plug.

We all enjoy mods/tweaks, but we also are proponents to the diy spirit, not trying to make a fast buck. Admit you have something financial to gain here.

"i might build more later"
"also, non-cynical people enjoy these threads"
"Keep your nose in those books, pseudo-engineer! Experience gets you nowhere!"

Your not likely to get far with this "crowd" on your attitude. You have only been a member here for 9 months...you have quite a bit to learn..."AHH - THE CONFIDENCE OF YOUTH"

Last edited by john65b; 12th December 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I would agree w/ the above post. *Diy*audio is not the place you really want to try and sell completed projects for any kind of profit. People either sell for the price of cost to build or less. May want to try another forum.
Old 12th December 2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

@ gripracer

One more post like that one that I took out with attack words and downgrading tone without even measurements to refute the tech critique, and you are in for the bin. You have been warned.

Hide this!Advertise here!