Choice of TA3020 boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I was looking at the AMP7 and Truepath modules from 41hz - they seem to have a very good reputation. However I've just seen connexelectronic's TA3020v3b modules (and their SMPS, speaker protection etc). The CNX stuff is much cheaper (comparing prebuilt modules), though the amp module is rated for less power.

What would you recommend? Has anyone used the CNX SMPS? Also I've noticed the CNX amp board uses the older mosfets.....

My need is 4x~300W into 8ohm, bridgeable into 2x~1000W into 8ohm. Majority of the time these will be used in my house, occasionally some PA use. My woofers are very low distortion, so quality is important to me. Woofers are rated 500WRMS, 1200W peak.

I have used both 41hz versions and the CNX versions of the TA2022 amps. The 41hz board is DIY and CNX comes fully assembled.

I will be honest and tell you that I had problems with pads ripping off the 41hz board very easily when I went to resolder components. That being said, the components on the boards seem comparable. The 41hz circuit seemed a little more "complex" - not better or worse, just more complicated. I ended up scrapping the 41hz board, scavenged what I could off the board and put the CNX amp in its place.

Many of the traces on the CNX board appear to be wider and in my opinion less prone to ripping off. Maybe I got a bum board or whatever.

Many people here have had good luck with both. I guess it just depends how much board stuffing you want to do yourself and how much you want to spend.

Col, have you used it with compression drivers? I'm active amping - my current amp is a home theatre reciever and it produces a lot of noise with the high sensitivity driver (I think it's from the input stage).

:)

My need is 4x~300W into 8ohm, bridgeable into 2x~1000W into 8ohm. Majority of the time these will be used in my house, occasionally some PA use. My woofers are very low distortion, so quality is important to me. Woofers are rated 500WRMS, 1200W peak.

you are going to put 300W into a compression driver at home! I hope you have some very good ear defenders :D

I have a tri-amped system with compression drivers (104db), it is very hard to find an amp quite enough to stop hiss. I use a TA2020 or TDA8920 for this purpose. TA3020 is better on the mids or subs.

col.

Hehe, I know I'll only ever use a couple of watts with the CD at home. I just don't want to be caught short in a PA situation - I've been looking at the power ratings into 8ohm of the other amps on the 41hz site and the ta3020 seems to be the best option. I'll have a look at TDA8920 :)

I didn't have the chance to compare the various 3020s but, regarding board quality, I can say that 41Hz Truepath has a top quality PCB.
I've done extensive modifications and parts swapping (and then some more swapping) and the board seems to hold pretty well.
The parts used in the kit are all quality stuff from known brands.

Amp7 is looking like my best option for the woofers - I'm just not quite sure what the actual output power is into 8ohm.

Col, do you think the TDA892x v2 board with TDA8950TH IC option would be a good choice for the compression drivers?

Not so, full range all the way, will be using it in car.
anyway, in 8R will have about 850w if you have that good supply

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
My experience with the 41hz truepath board was quite bad. One of the problems I had was that while searching for the kit assembly documentation I found several versions on their website. Some of if was very confusing. The board is very well made in the sense that an assembly robot is ideal to stuff it. The distance between traces and pads is very very small and you need to work with a magnifier and make check your soldering very well. Look at the forum and check out the number of failures with the truepath. When I mentioned the fact that the board isn't very well suited to human soldering and that tiny changes could improve the success ratio the response I got was "this is for experienced people only." So there, after agonizing days and nights I got one channel working, and fried two tripath chips in the process. There were people in the forum that are very helpful, including a 41hz guy. They do try to help, that's for sure. I didn't know about the connexelectronics kit before, but in retrospect, that's the one I'd go for now. Just my 2c.

The Truepath documentation 41Hz offers could be better, that's true.
Fortunately, that doesn't matter anymore! The community is very helpful and, moreover, member Audiophool now offers excellent documenation on his website: Maedos

There you'll find anything you need to know to build your Truepath (check "Docs" section).
I guess current buyers are luckier than us, Iko.. :eek:

That being said, Truepath was my first full scale DIY project and, besides all the SMD work and poor (at that time) documentation, I managed to get it working perfectly on the first power up.
I just spent days on the 41Hz forums reading old posts before I even thought of warming up my soldering iron.. :)

Btw, there are people (like V-bro and Audiophool) who would gladly take up the main board assembly (even including some tweaks and useful additions) for a small fee.
That would certainly be my first choice if I had to build it again!

Last edited:
The Amp7 is thru-hole only parts isn't it? If so, it should be far easier to solder up compared to the truepath.

I vote Amp 7, tho those CNX boards do seem good value however....

It would be really good if an Amp7 owner could compare the CNX board, I'd also be interested to know what differences there are.

Last edited:
I've spoken to Audiophool about the power rating matter - apparently at 8ohm all TA3020 boards are voltage limited to 2x144W or 1x576W.

The advantage that I thought the 41hz boards had over the CNX is now gone - it's now just a few scattered reports of sound quality.

Has anyone tried CNX's TA0105ARB board? It would seem to offer more output into 8ohm, at the expense of requiring a higher voltage power supply.

For my TA2022 board, I went with These for Co and Cz and These for the input caps. I also upgraded the inductors to a larger variant that came with my abandoned amp10 kit.

Lastly, not sure how much difference but I also replaced the stock 10,000uF PSU caps with These. FYI, I am using a 22VAC xformer making about 31VDC.

For inductors, you may want to look for Arjen's ebay store, he sells some nice 10mH coils that would probably be worth checking out...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.