UcD Oscillation Matter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2009, 05:17 PM   #1
rcch87 is offline rcch87  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default UcD Oscillation Matter

Hai.. Guys. I'm doing on UcD class D amplifier based on Philip UM10155 . I'm having problem in oscillate the UcD amplifier in order to simulate the desire sine wave . My Vin is 5V sine wave , with the frequency of 1K. My output is only 1.1 V. Can you guys give some advice on the way to oscillate the amplifier? Really appreciate if you all can help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph2.JPG (210.3 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic2.JPG (427.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 23rd November 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
djank is offline djank  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to djank
I think there is an error in the scheme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schematic2.JPG (153.0 KB, 377 views)
Old 24th November 2009, 01:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djank View Post
I think there is an error in the scheme.
Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to oscillate the amplifier. Really thanks for your help. Do you know any reason that caused my Vout is only simulate 30mv to -210mv sine wave?
what device and parameter that I need to change in order to get desire output waveform?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graph2.JPG (245.7 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg schematic2.JPG (276.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 24th November 2009, 02:52 AM   #4
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are not getting rail-to-rail waveforms at the junction of the output fets and the filter inductor, it is not oscillating.

Change the MEG OHM resistors to xxxxK. LTSPice interprets M as milliohms, I think. That is R14 and R15 on the original schematic.
J3 has to be tied to J4, grounded, to work. Read section 6.1 about enabling the amp.

Any errors flagged from the models? There is a Class D folder on the Yahoo pages for LTSPice users with complete Class D amps ready to go and very easy to simulate. Similiar to UM10155.
Old 24th November 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoc005 View Post
If you are not getting rail-to-rail waveforms at the junction of the output fets and the filter inductor, it is not oscillating.

Change the MEG OHM resistors to xxxxK. LTSPice interprets M as milliohms, I think. That is R14 and R15 on the original schematic.
J3 has to be tied to J4, grounded, to work. Read section 6.1 about enabling the amp.

Any errors flagged from the models? There is a Class D folder on the Yahoo pages for LTSPice users with complete Class D amps ready to go and very easy to simulate. Similiar to UM10155.

Really thankful for your advice.
The rail to rail waveforms are sine waves? Yes. I changed the to xxxxK but it didn't bring any effect at all. I had also tied j3 and j4 and grounded them.
There was no error. Just some warnings.

Instance "m:u5:2": Length shorter than recommended for a level 3 MOSFET.
Instance "m:u5:1": Length shorter than recommended for a level 3 MOSFET.
Instance "m:u4:2": Length shorter than recommended for a level 3 MOSFET.
Instance "m:u4:1": Length shorter than recommended for a level 3 MOSFET.

Do the warnings matter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph3.JPG (184.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg schematic3.JPG (288.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 24th November 2009, 08:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The warnings tell me that you have some problems with the models U5 and U4, the MOSFETS. Where did you get the models? Did you add them correctly to LT Spice??

When you added them to the schematic, did you right click the mouse on the symbol for the NMOS and do a "pick new MOSFET"?? Choose the STD30NF06L or PHM21NQ15T to get you started. These models are included in the standard download of LTSpice. Once you get things working you can change models.

The waveform at the left hand terminal of the inductor, L1, should be a square (rectangular) wave not sine wave.

I see about 100's of millivolts after the filter of 200Khz to 500Khz on the output of my simulations. Plus I see the audio I put into the input, amplified of course. What frequency do you think your circuit is oscillating?
Old 24th November 2009, 09:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default This works with LTSpice and similair to UCD180

See attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ClassD_LeapFrog_UcD.pdf (19.6 KB, 175 views)
Old 25th November 2009, 10:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoc005 View Post
The warnings tell me that you have some problems with the models U5 and U4, the MOSFETS. Where did you get the models? Did you add them correctly to LT Spice??

When you added them to the schematic, did you right click the mouse on the symbol for the NMOS and do a "pick new MOSFET"?? Choose the STD30NF06L or PHM21NQ15T to get you started. These models are included in the standard download of LTSpice. Once you get things working you can change models.

The waveform at the left hand terminal of the inductor, L1, should be a square (rectangular) wave not sine wave.

I see about 100's of millivolts after the filter of 200Khz to 500Khz on the output of my simulations. Plus I see the audio I put into the input, amplified of course. What frequency do you think your circuit is oscillating?

I get the model from npx. I inserted the Mosfet by cracking it in the sub and sym which I learned from Forum.

I had simulated it with PHM21NQ15T. The result is the same like the previous model.The waveform at the left hand terminal of the inductor, L1, is a square wave.

Can I know how you perform your transient analysis? What V(input) that you put?

I set my Vinput as sine wave which has 1V amplitude and frequency of 200KHz. I get my Vout value which variate between 20mV and 28mV. Does this meant that my signal is not amplifier-ed?
Old 25th November 2009, 12:03 PM   #9
djank is offline djank  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to djank
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcch87 View Post
What V(input) that you put?
Sine amplitude 1V, freq 1k
Old 25th November 2009, 10:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I had simulated it with PHM21NQ15T. The result is the same like the previous model.The waveform at the left hand terminal of the inductor, L1, is a square wave.

Good!

I set my Vinput as sine wave which has 1V amplitude and frequency of 200KHz. I get my Vout value which variate between 20mV and 28mV. Does this meant that my signal is not amplifier-ed?

You should be using audio frequencies. 200Khz is too high. I use 1.4 volts (peak) and frequencies from 100 hz to 20Khz.

When you set the input voltage source to zero, what do you see on the output?? When I simulated this design, I saw 100's of millivolts of DC offset, which is too high. There is no pot to adjust the output offset. Plus there is no real current limiting either. This design is incomplete, IMHO, and should be built and used with care.

Hide this!Advertise here!