My first DIY amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all ,
I just finished 3 amps using the TDA8950 modules from cnx. I am really impressed with the sound quality and they seem to have loads of headroom with my 4 ohm diy speakers
I played them gently for the first few hours and then pounded on them for the duration of Transformers 2. They never got hot.
The case is comprised of mdf covered with oak veneer for the front and sides and .050 2024T3 aluminum for the bottom , top , and back.

The only problem I have is a high pitched pop when I power the amps up. Crisit suggested a 4.7 to 22uf cap between signal ground and the mode pin but that didnt help. Any suggestions?

Here are a few photos.

DSC05230.jpg

DSC05229.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

Wow nice!

I have an amp based on the Connex TDA8920 module (similar but lower power I guess?) and am very happy with it... I don't have any power on sound but there is a slight click turning the amp off.

I have found using a power use meter that the idle power consumption of the amp is negligable... and it runs very cool, so its perfect for just leaving powered on in the loungeroom 24/7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.