PSU for TA2020 mk3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
I recently ordered one of Arjen Helder's ta2020 mk3 boards of ebay.

As this will be my first project, it's a fully populated board, I just need to arrange a PSU and casing.

Does anybody have experience with a good solution to provide the amp with 9-15V? I'm looking for the best value for money solution (good quality, not too expensive).

Thanks!

Hi studiostevus, cheapest way (and perfect working) is a switching power supply. You can order them from Arjen or Sure Electronics on Ebay. You can also find them in the Netherlands. I ordered mine from DIL in Rotterdam.

Aad

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have a TA2020 from Arjen and use a Samsung 14v 4A Supply for a Monitor. It works Great. The only trick is that you have to change the Tip because it comes with a Center Pin.

Please do not be surprised if the TA2020 goes up in smoke one day. 14 V is too close to the absolute max. of 14,6 V. TA2020 is sensitive to overvoltage and the power supply probably gives more than 14 V too. A dangerous combination for your speakers.

@ Studiostevus: Here are 2 pictures of mine. On the photo the box still contains an original ta2024 board from SI but right now it contains the ta2020 board from Arjen. It was a bit tough to get it all in, since the box is rather small, but it worked out. The box is from Conrad.nl.
For some nice cases you can also check out Electronica Behuizingen

or Class-T special project cabinet - /piece for a (almost)ready made t-amp case.

Arjen's board really rocks btw, you'll love it I'm sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 378
@ Studiostevus: Here are 2 pictures of mine. On the photo the box still contains an original ta2024 board from SI but right now it contains the ta2020 board from Arjen. It was a bit tough to get it all in, since the box is rather small, but it worked out. The box is from Conrad.nl.
For some nice cases you can also check out Electronica Behuizingen

or Class-T special project cabinet - /piece for a (almost)ready made t-amp case.

Arjen's board really rocks btw, you'll love it I'm sure.

Yes it does, I have been using one with my Klipsch Forte's and powering it alternately from a smps or a battery. It sounds terrific with either but there is something special happening with the battery power:)

Those are the modushop.biz Italian casings... just without the transportation cost from Italy (at least if you're in The Netherlands). Good to know, bookmarked.

I got a hammond Black Eurocard casing eventually. Only problem is that it only opens on both ends of the casing, not on the top. So it will be a bit of a struggle to get it all in. For now I'm playing out of a cardboard box :)

Display Electronics - Hammond 431621 - Hammond aluminium profielbehuizing zwart, 165 x 105 x 60mm

I'm getting one of Arjen Helder's TA2020 MkIII boards and am wondering whether it's possible to repurpose the 12v power supply from an old yamaha cd-writer (CRW2100). Can I just connect the output from the psu to the TA2020 board? I'm a newbie so would like some advice before I do something foolish (I don't know what the current output of the psu is and i'm not clear whether it will overload the board and fry it!)

Thanks (first post so be gentle),

Dan

ticklerton,
it'll likely work, though the specs for the power supply should be printed on the unit. Just be careful to connect the wires correctly (some cd rom power supplies are 12 volt and 5 volt). I use discarded laptop power supplies and a printer supply for my tripath amps and I've tried a supply for an external IDE hard drive and that worked fine.

Overvoltage might fry the board (I did it a couple times). Overamperage usually isn't an issue

mfong,

Thanks for quick response and advice. Yes, power supply is 12 volt and 5 volt. As both 12 and 5 volt wire sets are enclosed in a run of cable I can't tell which red and black wires at the pcb end are for which rail. (There's also a fan which I'd like to disable.) Can I just leave that end alone, cut the connector that previously went into the CDRW drive and use the wires I need (ignoring all the ones I don't) or will I need to chase back the cable and establish which pins are 12V and G?

TIA, Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.