Hypex UcD Supply ST mods..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2xUcD400ST modules, and I'm in the process of adding 3xUcD180 modules to the same box. Currently I have 2 x 'UcD Supply ST' modules driving the UcD400's, fed by a TR501 500VA toroid.

Each 'UcD Supply ST' module can drive 2xUcD400's, amounting to 1600W supply capability (I think that's a generous upper limit and wouldn't necessarily be optimal, but Hypex says it's a configuration possibility). I'd use 2 toroids with 4xUcD400s.

However, I don't want to power 2x400 + 2x400. I want to power 2x400 + 3x180. That's a slightly less power draw, but provides an imbalance I'd like to address.

My main question is this:
1) can I parallel the outputs of the UcD Supply ST units, so that all connected amp modules can draw from the paralleled supply? What would be the reasons why this couldn't be done? Yup, I'd add another TR501 if deemed necessary.

If it is not clear what I am asking, consider this example: If somebody only had 2x'UcD Supply ST' modules, and 3xUcD400 modules, they would probably connect one UcD400 module to one UcD Supply, and two to the other. That's not a well balanced configuration. Is it then possible to connect the two V+ terminals, the two Gnd terminals, and the two V- terminals together on the UcD Supply STs, and then connect all three of the UcD400 modules to the same three terminal points in parallel?

OK, weather or not that's sensible, I have a second related question:

2) How much, if any, is it possible to add capacitance to the UcD Supply ST modules? I.e., can I replace each of the 10,000uF caps with 20,000uF caps, or add additional identical 10,000uF caps in parallel with each of the existing 10,000uF caps? With additional capacitance I think a second TR501 may be deemed necessary to provide constant charge for the caps on both the UcD supply modules. If either of these cap mods (or others) are practical, which would be the best? Basically I want to upgrade power supply on low $$. I think my setup is low on caps. I realise the UcD Supply modules may not be able to handle current increases associated with such mods and may be fused near their limits.

Any other economic possibilities to help provide adequate power supply for a multichannel setup? FYI, I am ultimately interested to drive 2x400 + 3x180 + 1x700 in the same box and I'd love to hear about any approach expandable to cope with that. I've heard about the Exodus cap banks designed for the Hypex modules, but I don't want to have to replace my 500VA toroid with a 1000VA (I'd rather a configuration that allows adding a second 500VA to the existing one - I imagine the Exodus cap bank can only be powered by a single toroid). Another option would be a 1000W SMPS, but i think that would be an expensive solution given that it would render my toroid and 2xUcD supplies unused.

Sorry to be so verbose!!!!! Hope you can give me some tips or insight!

answer..

I asked Hypex, their reply confirmed it's possible. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this already..

Summary points:
-it should be possible to parallel two UcD Supply STs
-each UcD400 module needs only 4700uF (comment: I think this may only apply to 8Ohm loads)
-when driving an 8Ohm load, the output power will be limited to about 260W for a UcD400 (i.e, one TR501 is fine for two). Two TR501 toroids required for 4xUcD400 at full potential (comment: and 2xUcD Supply STs as paralleling toroids into one device is not recommended!)
-you can add more capacitance to the supply ST, but it's not necessary if each supply ST module is used with 8Ohm loads and up to 800W worth of UcD amp modules (e,g, 2xUcD400 = 800)
-when using two TR501 you only need one softstart module (probably obvious..)

Last edited:
I asked Hypex, their reply confirmed it's possible. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this already..

Summary points:
-it should be possible to parallel two UcD Supply STs
-each UcD400 module needs only 4700uF (comment: I think this may only apply to 8Ohm loads)
-when driving an 8Ohm load, the output power will be limited to about 260W for a UcD400 (i.e, one TR501 is fine for two). Two TR501 toroids required for 4xUcD400 at full potential (comment: and 2xUcD Supply STs as paralleling toroids into one device is not recommended!)
-you can add more capacitance to the supply ST, but it's not necessary if each supply ST module is used with 8Ohm loads and up to 800W worth of UcD amp modules (e,g, 2xUcD400 = 800)
-when using two TR501 you only need one softstart module (probably obvious..)

However you cannot combine different amplifiers on the same rail voltage....

The TR501 (or TR400) is only suitable for the UcD400, the TR180 - UcD180 and TR700 - UcD700.

Jan-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.