New NCDX(i) module from Lars Clausen - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
MrForce is offline MrForce  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default New NCDX(i) module from Lars Clausen

Hey DIY's

Just seen that NewClassD from Lars Clausen, soon will come out with a couble of new Class D modules - NCDX and the NCDXi

I'm looking forward to hear some independent tests/meanings about the sound from these new modules

I already have build an amplifier based on 2 NCD1 modules, som maybe it's time to upgrade.....

You can read a little more about the NCDX modules here: www.newclassd.com

Regards

MrForce
Old 18th October 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
teflon1 is offline teflon1  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wow, that sounds like a scam.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Cavok is offline Cavok  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hmm, - why does that sound like a scam?

Regards.

Cavok
Old 18th October 2009, 12:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't get that either, Lars Clausen and his LC Audio and NewClassD is highly acclaimed internationally.
Old 21st October 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The NCDX's do look very interesting.
Lars is pioneering the way for microprocessor monitoring.
The new low idling power is intriguing.

I sure wish NewClassD would come out with SMPS.
It would go even further to taking advantage of the power efficiency.
And what's an Amp without a power supply anyhow?

Best of luck to NewClassD - these look good!
Old 21st October 2009, 09:27 PM   #6
teflon1 is offline teflon1  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Plenty of amplifiers are able to operate in stable fashion without load and without the requirement of a housekeeping MCU to monitor things. How can data acquisition technology, standard in most toasters today, improve the sonic experience? Is it advantageous to have it sharing supply lines with the input stage, assuming it even has one this time?

As per pioneering, an I for Input Stage that it never had, with high 10k impedance, ground blazing territory nobody wrote the book on yet. Where did you hear that SMPS are more efficient?

When you say "these look good" what are you looking at. All that seems to have been released is marketing, so that you can buy now and get one later, if the old stock sells off.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Stable" as in shutdown when overdriven? Not to handy for pro audio use.
Toasters have CPU so you can toast two pieces of toast and not undercook the first and overcook the second.

Eventually I'd like to see amps that behave consistently in different environments - within reason. It's a pipe dream. Not that newclassd provides this now, but it's going to take more than what current amp and power supply companies build now - I think it's going to take some CPU power to monitor this.

SMPS efficiency: Switched-mode power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fix it if you think you know better. Wikipedia gets better when experts contribute.

Most important for me - they're lighter.

NewClassD sells to DIYer's and actually publishes a lot of measurements and cookbooks on their products. This isn't something you normally see in this market. Hypex is good at this too but they also have an oem line DIYer's can't buy. It's just good to see more products in the DIY market.

Cynicism always good to keep the amp makers honest. Saying it's a scam may be a little too cynical.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Teflon1: Unless you are yourself a scam, i hereby invite you to make an appointment to visit our demo room, and listen to NCDX. You are welcome to bring any reference amplifier of your choice. But bring a good one! :-)

We have a SMPS platform ready to go, however we get more interest in other new products, and as it cost loads of money to launch a new product, we have to prioritize, and release the most interest-generating products first. That's the hard rules of life :-)

About independent reviews, i am hoping all of those who already pre-purchased NCDX and NCDXi will write their own reviews on forums, once they get their modules. Release date is based on production time, pretty soon.

:-)
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

YouTube - NCDXi-627
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
I'm doing MCU assisted class D too, but in the context of a whole amplifier, where the MCU deals with remote power on/off, power sequencing, mute, protections, clip, limiters, fan speed, sending diagnostic information to the outer world, etc... The MCU comes really handy for these purposes and can do the work of several hundred analog parts.

However, I see little point in using a MCU in DIY modules which don't include all these features.

BTW: Modern MCUs are not likely to disturb audio circuits in any way, they deal with very low currents and voltages and they include an internal clock that is good enough in most circumstances, resulting in negligible EMI.

Hide this!Advertise here!