Mean hissing (and static) in 2 Watt Class-D - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
r0b is offline r0b  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Mean hissing (and static) in 2 Watt Class-D

Hi,

I'm hoping for some suggestions here. I have the following:

-2 Watt Class-D Amplifier Vcc 2.5-5.5V
-2" Fullrange Driver

Now when I connect it all up, there is a heck of a lot of funny noise kinda like hissing, simply annoying. It does not really give much output, but that I was expecting.
The hissing stops when I unplug the source. (Checked with two notebooks (on/off mains), Tv-set headphone out, and battery-powered MP3-player). Also there is not really a difference whether the amp is run off battery or ac-converter. At 6 V (4xAA) it is much worse than at 4.5 or 3V ( I suppose that's because I am at the high end of the specified input range).

The thing has differential and single ended inputs. I suppose I would use single ended in the application with an MP3-Player, right? I checked single ended (GND to GND), differential (GND from the player to In-, signal to In+) and something inbetween (GND to In- and GND, signal to In+) but that did not change much either...

Anybody have an idea how I could get that thing a little less annoying, and a little more music-making?

Or should I just write the things off as "learning-money"? I guess the static it outputs all the time is normal. I would be cool with that, if the hissing was gone. I'll try to write sureelectronics about it also, but reading the answers on their page, I kinda doubt that would be too helpful... Maybe they'll swap the two sets for a TA2024 :P
Although I really want to drive the whole setup with 3-4 AAs.

I just found these amps so darn cute, and wanted to fabricate a birthday project for a friend, but I guess he'll have to wait (or the budget will be way higher than planned).

Thanks for your input

P.S.: Once I get done, I'll post the project here
Old 21st October 2009, 12:38 AM   #2
r0b is offline r0b  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok, so Sure emails me that the amplifier simply makes that much noise out of nothing. They refunded me however. Awesome service!

Now I've got a whoopin' 8 bucks to spend on some other small amp!

I want it to be powered by (max) 4 AA batteries. Anyone know of anything out there? National Semiconductors has a nice class-d thing, but I think it's smd and also not available anywhere.

I've read something about lm368, but I can't find much more info on that one either. Also I don't have any sources, but I guess I would manage to find some.

Google doesn't really get me anywhere, I get a whole lot 12v amps :/ Simply no room for that!

I would appreciate some chips thrown at me, preferrably without much external circuitry!

Thanks

Robin

P.S.: I got to keep the amps, so maybe someone still has a hint how to quiet them down. They are frikkin' perfect for what I want, except for the funny noises they produce...
Old 21st October 2009, 06:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you tried shorting VI with GND to see if the noise is still there?

IN+ and IN- are the differential inputs. For single ended (like from an MP3 player), VI is the positive input.

Hide this!Advertise here!