TIGHTpak toroid winding technology - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2009, 04:59 PM   #1
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TIGHTpak toroid winding technology

I was doing some surfing and came across this interesting technology.
http://powerelectronics.com/mag/508PET22.pdf
Old 15th October 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
pjp is offline pjp  India
diyAudio Member

I can't imagine how impractical this must be.

How do they squish the wire ahead of time ? And if they are doing it while winding the toroid, how do they keep from damaging the insulation ?

I see they're selling it, so I guess it is practical ... http://www.actown.com/download/TIGHTpak_brochure.pdf

... and there is a patent: US 7154368 http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/71...scription.html

Last edited by pjp; 15th October 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: discovered the company's website. patent.
Old 20th October 2009, 02:37 PM   #3
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Most Class D filters contain few turns

I don't really see a need to pack the toroid with extra wire most of the time. A 20 uHy coil has 13-14 turns. The rather large toroid that the wiring will go on will usually easily accomodate all the required turns in a single layer, which is as it should be. The wire size should be increased until the number of turns fills the single layer on the chosen toroid form. You want to lower the DC resistance of the output toroid(s) so that the resistive losses are as small as possible.
Old 20th October 2009, 04:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default T106-2 cores need 31 turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoc005 View Post
I don't really see a need to pack the toroid with extra wire most of the time. A 20 uHy coil has 13-14 turns. The rather large toroid that the wiring will go on will usually easily accomodate all the required turns in a single layer, which is as it should be. The wire size should be increased until the number of turns fills the single layer on the chosen toroid form. You want to lower the DC resistance of the output toroid(s) so that the resistive losses are as small as possible.
You must be using some really heavy cores. The Micrometals T106-2 cores that are the most common Class D toroid cores require 31 turns to make it to 13uH. 20ga. wire barely fits.
T106-2
Old 20th October 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

Using a Ferroxcube TN26/11-3C20-A113 gapped toroid cores.
OD is 26 mm, ID in 13.5 mm. Height is 11.6 mm. At least 20 turns, single layer, of #16 wire will fit, I believe.
See their app. note on these cores at their website. Ferroxcube - ferrite cores, bobbins & accessories

What size is the Micrometals core?? Specifically the ID, which controls how many turns are possible, single layer.
Old 20th October 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Ferroxcube

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoc005 View Post
Using a Ferroxcube TN26/11-3C20-A113 gapped toroid cores.
OD is 26 mm, ID in 13.5 mm. Height is 11.6 mm. At least 20 turns, single layer, of #16 wire will fit, I believe.
See their app. note on these cores at their website. Ferroxcube - ferrite cores, bobbins & accessories

What size is the Micrometals core?? Specifically the ID, which controls how many turns are possible, single layer.
The link to the T106 cores is right there in my last post. It barely holds 13uH of undersized wire. Nobody has the A113 ferroxcube cores so I ordered some TN23-4C65 to try in the mean time.

Hide this!Advertise here!