Are these two Lepai amps actually the same? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Are these two Lepai amps actually the same?

Aside from the color of the box and the power supply, are these amps the same? They're both Lepai TA2020 amps, both have the blue LED knob rather than the older rainbow light.

In other words, they're both TA2020 amps, but is whatever else is included in the case the same?

I'm confused because one comes with a 12V/2A power supply, whereas the other comes with a 12V/5A power supply. I didn't realize these amps could handle more than 2.6A...

1 - the black case

2 - dark silver/green

If they're the same, excluding the color, I'll just buy the cheaper one since I already own a 13.5V/2.6A power supply.

Do you have any experience with these amps?

I already own a Lepai TA2020 and I'm thrilled with it, except for the fact that it seems to be dying! I get static/popping sounds from my speakers whenever I touch the amp. I know most here would open the sucker up and see what's going on, but I a have absolutely no idea how to do that sort of thing (zero experience modding), so I'm thinking I should buy another amp before this one dies.

Last edited by goodgnus; 14th October 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: I added more info
Old 14th October 2009, 01:17 AM   #2
gychang is online now gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder in stock form how good the sound is... certainly the price seem right especially with a volume knob.
Old 14th October 2009, 01:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Like I said, I already own one of these, in stock form and I'm really pleased with it. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a difference between the two I linked to. Aside from the color, they look the same to me... but are they?
Old 14th October 2009, 01:23 AM   #4
cheric is offline cheric  United States
diyAudio Member

These are the same amps. The expensive one has a better power supply, the "cheaper" one's p/s may not have enough amp to run it. If you don't need the p/s then get one without it.
Try this one...
TA2020 20WX2 Class T Amp Mini HI-FI Stereo Amplifier BL - eBay (item 180418558960 end time Nov-10-09 11:41:14 PST)

Last edited by cheric; 14th October 2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: add text
Old 14th October 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!