diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   speakon in DIY amp? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/153121-speakon-diy-amp.html)

dvenardos 8th October 2009 10:33 PM

speakon in DIY amp?

Anyone used speakon connectors instead of binding posts in your DIY amp?
How do you like them?

d to the g 8th October 2009 10:52 PM

I use the 4 pole speakon connectors with my diy proac 2.5s. Biamping with one connector? Oh yeah.

Embarrasing personal note: I know of at least two occasions were I've destroyed an amp by forgetting to power it down and touched the banana's together. Can't do that with a speakon.

dvenardos 8th October 2009 11:28 PM

Thanks, it looks like a good connector to me and I don't see any reason not to go with it, but am wondering about others experience.

Karl71 8th October 2009 11:39 PM

I intend to use them for the first time in my next speaker build and my first amp build, partially to avoid shorts. Additionally, I am sick of intermittent connections due to loose 5-ways. :mad: Speakons are a commercial standard.

Regards,

Karl

sangram 9th October 2009 01:35 AM

I only ever use Speakons in my own projects. They're (relatively) inexpensive and rugged, and the locking, short-circuit proof contacts eliminate one source of worry in my (mostly) chassis- and PCB-less amps.

dvenardos 9th October 2009 02:24 AM

:cool: Thanks.

aquapiranha 9th October 2009 11:23 AM

I have decided to use Speakons on my OB's as the connectors are rugged, inexpensive, foo free and safer. Ie, you cannot short out the amp. I think most people will be using Neutrik, as I am.

Thanks.

col 15th October 2009 10:46 PM

I use speakons for my projects they work really well. There are a lot of different types of cheap copies around, Iv'e tried most of them. The originals are by far the best but can be quite expensive.

If you are going to buy the cheap copies it's best to get the ones that look tapered, heres a photo:

col.

Corben 23rd October 2009 06:59 AM

I'm about to build an Aleph 4 and I've decided on using Speakons, but I've also considered including banana/screw connectors. Does that make sense or should I just omit the bananas?

How would you wire the Speakon connectors? Neutrik suggests using one 4-pin connector on the amp with a Y-cable to the speakers, but to me it makes more sense having two connectors wired so, that both connectors have both channels. (I could've sworn the Neutrik's wiring suggestions also included having two 4-pin connectors on the amp with left channel connected to channel-1 on one connector and right to 2 on the other, but that seems pointless.) On the other hand, using two 2-pin connectors (or 4-pin with only channel 1, as also suggested by Neutrik) would allow swapping the channels by switching connectors, without having to switch cables around, or worse yet, the speakers.

AndrewT 23rd October 2009 09:19 AM

I would put in a 4pin to each channel.
This allows you to bi-wire to a bi-wireable speaker, or to drive two drivers in separate cabinets, or to star quad the 4 wires (to a single speaker) to minimise interference coming in or going out.

If the speaker has more than one driver then a 4pin allows separate inputs to both drivers, or both halves of a split crossover.

eg.
a dual driver bass speaker requiring 200W into each 8ohm driver can be wired to two amplifiers each of 200W to 400W into 8ohms or fed from a single amplifier providing 400W to 800W into 4ohms. A 4pin covers all the bases, even allowing parallel connection and series connection of dual drivers.