Audiom | 100-W audio amp is 20 times more efficient than Class D chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a clarification (in case no one said this before, I haven't read the entire thread): stating that some amplifier is 20x times more efficient than a 70% efficient amplifier does not mean that it is 1400% efficient or that it creates energy!

Yes it does.

It means that it wastes 20x less power, that is, 30%/20=1.5% (=98.5% efficiency).

No. That would be "1/20th as inefficient". It could also be written "28% more efficient".

I don't mean to bum you out just for the sake of it, but I look for this series of chips to fall by the wayside. Even Tripath got sold to a software company.

Just like this generation of portable media devices , here today - gone tomorrow.
I saw the comment on the tubes , how rude. I suppose 500w class AB amps are "old school" as well , at least they sound good. :rain:
"real world amplifier tech" is pretty much garbage today - that is why I DIY !
OS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.