Velodyne SPL II Series amp repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone out there have any experience with the switching amps used in Velodyne SPL Series II subwoofers?
I have both an SPL-1000II and SPL-1200II which look like they use identical amps. They are both dead other then a faint signal produced by one and a thump when switching the crossover to bypass in the other.
These subs do not have any servo feedback, so they are basically just the amp and woofer.
The line fuses are fine on both.
Velodyne service only suggests replacing the amps ($$$).
I'd love to get these working, otherwise it seems a waste of good cabinets and drivers.
Thanks for any suggestions!

These are offline amps. The AC line is rectified and that directly becomes the DC power supply for the Class D output stage. This requires isolation between the audio connectors and amplifier in the amp design. The amp can theoretically supply the advertised power but they are dialed way back because the woofer can't take anywhere near that amount. I measured the power output of the SPL800 amp it was limited to only ~300W! The only fundamental difference between the 800,1000,1200 is where they set the max power output limiter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.