Input trasformer for ICEPOWER based amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I built an ICEPOWER based amp (200ASC) a while ago. I want to add input transformers to the design to raise the input impedance and make the amplifier easier to drive by a preamp. I am looking into something like what Jeff Rowland or Murano are using. In their case they are using the Lundahl 7902 which is very expensive.

I want to try to use an input trasformer from Edcor (www.edcor.com) which I used successfully in a DIY DAC project I did. The problem is that I am not sure which model to select. I know I need a 1:1 transformer. I also know that the static resistance of the Lundahl is 28 Ohmper side. The problem is that the spec for the Edcors is available as impedance and not static resistance and I am not sure which model I need. For my DAC project I used a 600:600 ohm model to couple the DAC directly to the output with no active circuit and it was magnificent.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks
Ronen

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Frank is right. You don't get something for nothing. Without an active circuit you'll lose gain to get a higher input impedance.

That may be OK if your preamp can output a healthy level. Can it supply enough current to drive the 8~10K of the Ice? If not, can it supply a high voltage level that you can step down?

OK, so I guess its not impedance matching for which the transformer is used.
I this case how would I translate the static resistance of 28 Ohms of the Lundahl transformer to an impendace figure which is what Edcor has in their spec.

Thank you to all who helped so far,
Ronen

An input trafo is most often used to get galvanic separation of the source and the amp. Most often to ensure that no stray ground voltages comes neither in nor out of the device. Normally a 1:1 trafo would be used for that.

It is also often used as an output trafo to make a balanced signal out of a unbalanced signal, an in the input then reversing that. Both ends will normally use a 1:4 step-up/down trafo, reversed on each end.

You can also use a 1:4 step-up trafo to achieve passive signal processing that would otherwise result in level loss, such as a passive line level filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.