New at this, would like some comments/input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello DIYaudio members.

This is my first post to this forum, which I've been following for a short time now. The amount of information available is impressive.

I'm considering building myself a 5 ch. class-D amplifier. It would replace the power amplifiers in my Denon 2808 Surround Receiver, and drive a set of Dali Mentor 6's, plus some other Dali speakers for Center and Surround. None of the speakers are hard to drive by any means.

Reading through the posts here, I've found that a good and easy way to start could be to use Hypex modules. They apparantly sound good, and are easy to implement. And there's a dealer i my country (Denmark).

I'm considering something like this:
2xUcD180ST for rear channels.
1xUcD180HG for center.
2xUcD400HG for the front channels.

To drive this I would use:
1xTR180 with UcD Supply ST for the 180ST's.
1xTR180 with UcD Supply HG Mono for the 180HG.
2xTR400 with 2x UcD supply HG for the 400HG's.

All of this would go into an old CD-player cabinet, with a new aluminium front for cooling.

I'm an electronics technician by education, so putting it together should be no problem.

I would probably make the build backwards, starting with the 180ST's to get a feel for the products, and to get an idea how they sound.

Then go on with the center and last but not the front channels.

I have some questions:

How does the 180ST sound compared to more expensive modules? Would they give a good idea about how the whole line sounds?

Should I use a softstart module?

This would be a fun project to build I think :)

Any helpfull advice is welcome...

OK.

Noone had any input :), but I have a couple of new questions, I hope to get answered..

The planned project has changed a bit, and hopefully I will start building within a month.

I'm now planing for a 7 channel amplifier, with ability to Biamp for the front speakers.

For this I will use:
2xUcD400HG for the front channels/low frequency.
2xUcD180HG HxR for front channels/high frequency.
1xUcD180HG for center.
2xUcD180ST for rear channels.

Powering this there will be:
1xSMPS400/67 for the 400HG's
2xSMPS400/49 (one for the 180HG HxR's and one for the 180ST's and 180HG)

My questions are:

If I use 400HG for low frequency and 180HG HxR for high frequency, will I have any high vs. low frequency level problems? Are the 400HG and 180HG amplifiers gain the same?

Would I be better of just using 400HG HxR's for the fronts?

Is it sufficient to use one SMPS for the center and rear channels?

Would there be any soundbenefits by adding capacitors in front of each amp? E.g. 10.000 uF for each UcD, between the SMPS and each amp. Will the SMPS's work proberly this way?

Hope someone will answer these questions :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.