hlly t-90 amp review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do want to mention that the muting circuit remains an odd intermittent problem with the unit I have. It's hard to tell if I really do have household AC that's that variable or if there's some oddity with the Hlly.

Usually it inolvess unplugging the line cord a couple times, but I hope they straighten it out (assuming I'm not just the victim of bad luck). I don't think it makes sense to pay 180 dollars for an amp then to have to spend 500 dollars on a voltage stabilizer just to keep it operating consistently.

It is the sort of thing that makes me miss brick and mortar stores with actual sales people that you talk to directly.

As I understand it the muting circuit is in the chip. I need to check in with Hlly on where the overvoltage is set. They told me 5% but it wasn't clear in terms of 5% of what voltage. They'd originally mentioned 220 which obviously doesn't apply in California (where I live too). I'll also try to check in with PGE. 110-120 is pretty normal but if it's set to 5% of 110 and the local power company aims to supply 120...that's obviously a problem.

This may explain why the t-2022 amps haven't gotten more traction if the mute/overvoltage is built into the chip. Assuming the worst, I suspect there's probably some way to disable it.

I know the guy from Hlly has shown up on this board once or twice, maybe he'll be able to answer the question. I do think it's part of dealing with Chinese companies, (I'm Chinese btw) many of them don't know American consumer expectations.

fwiw, it does seem odd to me that an AC overvoltage thing would be on a DC chip and I imagine it would have more to do with the power supply and maybe on the board in some way but it might also be a function of the e-mail I exchanged with Hlly and possible language issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.