AMP7 start to finish - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2010, 02:28 PM   #11
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Great project man!! 8)
Old 14th February 2010, 06:53 PM   #12
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Thanks man, it sure is, even more now, that it's getting finished, and it will share it's place with supply and amp2... pictures will come, as fast as I can paint AL the right way
Old 14th February 2010, 07:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have a few similar projects on the go, for instance an SMPS board in the make that will be very universal. Also from 12V to any wanted higher voltage... I have a proto that reaches 94% efficiency, which I render rather spectacular because several commercial specimen I have in the drawer don't even reach 90%! Once it is ready I have professionally made boards that will fit TO220 and TO247 fets, it will have a separate PWM module board, you name it!... It is just plain brutal!

I have had the proto feed AMP15, AMP7 and a Truepath and in my car it sounds rather spectacular!

Oh man, I can't wait to see your pictures!
Old 14th February 2010, 07:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
in my car it sounds rather spectacular!

Oh man, I can't wait to see your pictures!
Cool, nice to hear that from someone else too, I know they are bad *** already at home on 10A limited supply

You got this project of yours, some where I could take a look at it?
Old 14th February 2010, 09:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have a thread at 41hz.com of the start, but I have gone through quite some development since. In the thread the SMPS converters are all still commercial designs...

Car AMP7, AMP15 and Truepath
Old 14th February 2010, 09:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think I will have to seperate smps from amps too, farady cage..., won't know for sure if any noise will still come from smps, until I put all power and signal cables in, so far, only main voltage lines are done, everything else, 3 other voltages are via wires, real RF nightmare
Old 14th February 2010, 10:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well, so far I have had no bad experiences with RF. The AMP15 has the SMPS and AMP board facing each other and it never distorted any reception of my head unit or cellphone or other equipment. I didn't even take drastic measures to minimize it. basically I wanted to see how it went without too much precautions in the first place. The SMPS are all running at between 30Khz and 35Khz...
Old 15th February 2010, 06:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

my is now pretty low, like 20-25k if I remember right, I don't think I would need more, since I have pretty big core... anyway, I hope there won't be any noise in speakers, but until I get it semi done, I guess I can't expect too much, amps on their own are silent as they can get, that is for sure
Old 15th February 2010, 09:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Today I did a little test, I put <1% Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution on aluminium, and it look like it eatched it... put only pain on it, no primer of any kind and the thing is strong as hell...so I guess I found the way, not will get down to painting the case
Old 15th February 2010, 10:22 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Cool!

About the frequency, did you measure the current with just the primary connected and turned the frequency? This is a part of how I determine the usability of an unknown core. Just apply four, five or six dual windings, then connect and turn the frequency up and down, place a scope on the outputs of the chip to monitor the frequency. When the lowest idle current is reached and still very high (like 50Khz or more) then you may need more turns. When it is under 30Khz you may take some primary turns off. I always measure the inductance at 10 windings first of an unknown core, so I have an idea about the permeability and can do some rough calculations where the ideal frequency is at.

Maybe there are easier ways, I just enjoy the experimenting. It's also quite educative!

Hide this!Advertise here!