Anyone tried this tube buffer/preamp for Tripath amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone tried this tube buffer/preamp for Tripath amps?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported

Click the image to open in full size.

Looks intreresting, good value and, just what a few of us are after.

Thoughts?
Old 6th February 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Dr3Tri is offline Dr3Tri  Finland
diyAudio Member

I am concidering almost exactly same thing. Not necessarily this exact tube buffer/preamp but some of this cheap boards.

What i am wondering is that does tripath amps benefit from tube buffers /preamps at all or do they actually give drawback in soundquality? I have not found clear answer to simple question. Is there one or is it about opinions again?

Could someone more cultivated audiophile enlighten me about this?
Old 6th February 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe this will help; it is a video of my Topping TP21 T-Amp with a YiXin MDS-623 tube buffer on the front end. The sound is stunning. The tube buffer really adds a thick, lush analog layer that compliments the T-Amp highs and mids. The MDS-623 utilizes (2) 6N3 tubes which are Chinese equivalent of 2C51/5670.

Topping TP21 T-Amp Stereo System - YouTube
Old 18th February 2012, 04:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Yes, with good tube buffer

I have tried various tube buffers with Tripath based amps. The best so far was with the Decware z-stage which manages to be very transparent and extremely musical. The other buffers sounded like they were adding a veil to the sound.

But with the z-stage it was magical.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Gost22 is offline Gost22  Bolivia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin78 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported

Click the image to open in full size.

Looks intreresting, good value and, just what a few of us are after.

Thoughts?
Hi
Where is the schematic?
thank you!
Old 31st May 2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been using a Yaqin CD-2 tube buffer in front of a Tripath 2050 amp. It really wakes up the amp.

Here's the thing...The buffer works best AFTER the volume pot. If you are using a tripath amp with an onboard pot this may not be possible. I used a 25K stepped attenuator in front of the buffer then into the amp.

Honestly, if you are going to DIY something I'd look at the Nelson Pass B1. My experience with the tube buffer was positive but you do lose some detail.

The tripath amps will always have buffering/impedence issues when used without a preamp, most have just a passive pot in front of the amp. Adding the buffer really drives the amp better.

Other amps like the Pass F5 are more immune to input impedence...but my tripath needed the buffer. And good tubes in the buffer but that's a different story...
Old 31st May 2013, 06:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have been using a B1 Pass buffer (DC coupled with symmetrical supply and a 10K pot in front of it) with my TA2022 amp for some time now and I believe it is a killer combination as it has beautiful lush sound with amazing detail at the same time. One of the best sounding combos regardless of cost. Many listeners thought that they were in front of a top class tube pre/power amp combo and its all solid state. Highly recommended.
Old 15th December 2014, 01:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
The tripath amps will always have buffering/impedence issues when used without a preamp, most have just a passive pot in front of the amp. Adding the buffer really drives the amp better.

Other amps like the Pass F5 are more immune to input impedence...but my tripath needed the buffer. And good tubes in the buffer but that's a different story...
Hi, I'm using an HRT Music Streamer II DAC into my connex ta3020vc3 amp, with nothing in between, not even a volume pot (I control volume digitally on computer, in 24 bit mode for no loss of quality). Is this not ideal? It SEEMS to sound great, and has been realiable, i.e. I've run it this way for 5 years with no issues. Is there an impedance mismatch or buffering issue that is degrading the sound quality? What is meant by buffering in this sense anyways, I don't understand that...

If you have any suggestions for a preamp or buffer stage/gain stage between my dac and amp, for say, 50-100 bucks, I'd appreciate it. tube or no tube, either way, whatever is best, I want to retain the high level of detail these amps produce, and perhaps a cheap tube amp would color and blur the sound too much. heard of the little bear?

Hide this!Advertise here!