Connexelectronic TA2022 amplifier with FE167E (94dB/w/m) opinion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm planning to get the TA2022 Class-T Tripath amplifier module and use it with my Fostex FE167E speaker. Since the speaker is pretty high in efficiency, will it give me any noise issue?

I read from the CNX audio thread that a few have had problems on high noise floor on the module and I'm a bit worried if that would be an issue for my setup.

I heard that CNX had respin the module and it is much better now. I'd like to get feedback from the forumners here if anyone has tried the new version and has no problems on the noise.

Thanks!
Rgds, ken

TA2022 amp from Connexelectronic

Hello,

While I can't vouch for the noise level when using the Connexelectronic TA2022 with speakers as sensitive as you describe, I can certainly recommend the amplifier for use with speakers of lower sensitivity (in my case, AR-90 & AR-91 @ 87dB), when coupled with a suitably robust high quality power transformer.

Shortly after receiving the kit from Cristi, I commented thus:

"I've rigged up a basic 'breadboard' quick-test set-up, and I must say that you have done an excellent job with this board, it is considerably better sounding than the Tripath evaluation board (EB-TA2022 Ver 1.6) that I tried previously. The sound quality really is excellent, and the amp is as quiet as a mouse, regarding hum and hiss etc., very good work!"

That was back in March, and four months later I stand by those comments, regarding the quality. I also have a PopPulse t150 (which is TA2022 based), and it too is a superb performer, good overall value if the DIY TA2022 route is not for you.

I've found no noise-floor issues with either amp, but one caveat: both do radiate RFI noise. This is apparent when listening to FM radio in stereo, especially on the lower end of the band, which (in the UK) affects quality broadcasts like Radio 3 & 4, so plan your reduction/shielding measures accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

Try Sure Electronics, TK2050(2*100W version), with 30V DC power supply you get about 50W continously into 8 ohms, plenty of reserve power. I have one playing now.

I use both laptop power supply @19.5 V and battery operate at 24V, the latter sounds so much better. NO NOISE at all at the output. Overall recommmended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.