Iwannebuy TA2024 mod potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Saga continues: soldered following the picture below per audio1st suggestion after desoldering my old wire.

Ch2 (which had been the dead) works for about 20sec playing music and shuts down, the tripath chip gets too hot. For some reason Ch1 which had been working fine does not work at all.

I am beginning to think it is my shoddy soldering some where.

gychang

Attachments

• link2.jpg
    link2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 461
Havoc08 said:

I received one of these boards as a gift from Gychang and I have had no trouble with it. I have modded the input and power rails and it behaves just like all the other 2024 boards.
I suppose in someway it is better than the Sure board because you don't have the incorrect DC offset cct to deal with.

Attachments

• wannabuy.jpg
    wannabuy.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 416
thx. Besides the odd font chamge on the chip it seems like the sure board with the resistor network deactivated?

Or maybe not... I see now that it is not the resistor mod that has been done. What would be in the empty smd solder locations?

Have you observed whether the ohmage and the capacitance rating is correct on this board (as the sure board has 1uF instead of 2,2uF for example)?

Havoc08 said:

Or maybe not... I see now that it is not the resistor mod that has been done. What would be in the empty smd solder locations?

One location is for a smd LED, but this is powered by the chips 5V output and may over heat the chip so they have decided against it?
The other location is to link the fault pin to the mute pin, this option should auto mute under fault conditions but would then need to be powered down to reset after fault.
They have also blacked out the markings on the tantalum caps for some reason?
The output caps are also different values to the Sure board, but to know the exact values would mean lifting them and I haven't done that.. The inductors measured 15uH..

Attachments

• wannaled.jpg
    wannaled.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 394
@audio1st
if you look at the signal in trace there is always quite a difference, as many other places in the layout.

I too would be interested in a comparison :)

I still think the amp3 sounds better than the sure (I have a faint hiss in my speakers from the sure), but the mods really make alot of difference. I soldered the crappy SMD caps off and replaced with a samxon u-low esr 1000uF on each side and that lowered the background noise considerable.
I'm not sure leaving the std. caps on is a good idea.

Also the signal cap mod changed the sound alot. I just replaced the stock 1uF with some good quality 2,2uF SMDs I had and that returned the bass and dynamics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.