TAS5630 D-Class build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a little clarification about PPSC. The PPSC circuit is designed to check for solder bridging after fabrication to prevent destruction on startup. It doesn't really depend on the output inductor, but it does depend on the output capacitor.

It works by allowing the leakage current to slowly charge all of the output capacitors, if there is a short to ground this will not happen. Once the output voltage reaches a specific threshold the output pull-down resistors are engaged to pull the output node back to 0V. If there is a short to PVDD this will not happen. Once both steps are complete on all channels the device will allow the SD pin to go high and will respond to the valid signal normally.

Really good to hear that there are a few running amps out there!

Not anymore.....

When i folded the power ground plane with solder some solder must have flown under one ceramic filter cap or the cap was somehow damaged. When i plugged in the power there was a flash and sparks flying!!! After close inspection the ceramic cap entirely vaporised in to nothing and two traces on the PCB got vaporised as well.(Note to self: use fuses)

I used huge toroid to power this so there was a few kW in to this short there, no wonder it was so spectacular with sparks flying everywhere. Later (when i stop being angry at it) i will try to give supply to the chip to see if it survived. But first i need to clean up the mess the short circuit made on the board.

I've seen TI chips endure many stOOpid things I shouldn't admit to.
Often amazes me how the engineers seem to have thought ahead.
How many ways can the technician mess things up in his sleep???
I won't contradict any spec sheets by giving details...

I always have the chip replaced , if I know I've done something bad.
Even if its still working... No sense tempting fate.

------------------

Regarding the 3208, I've left the engineer a message on his phone.
I've asked, "proper procedure for the user to obtain that software?"
And hopefully made him aware of this thread.

-------------------

Once your heatsink is attached, does that become a groundplane?
It does seem to cover the entire board in reasonable proximity...

Thanks for contacting the engineer.

Well the heat sink dose cover the whole board at a distance of about 2-4mm (middle part is thicker)but i am not making electrical conection to it to use ti as a ground plane(Thats a good idea tho) And i have put a lot of toght on the ground plane on the board (star ground like) caps are close to the chips GND pins plus that plane is coved in a thick layer of solder to make it much more conductive. (Even without the solder there ware no obvious problems)

According to 3208 engineer, you need to write to this address:

purepathstudio at list dot ti dot com

I was reading over my supervisor's shoulder. So, I hope I've
copied the address correctly? Let me know if it doesn't work.

TI legal should contact you about a licence agreement, then
you get the link to the download.... Or something like that...

Yeah i have send a e-mail will see if i get a reply. I hope i do...

I havent realy did much design on the digital part of the amp yet, i did design a touch sensitive and blue LED illuminated front panel( haven't built yet) and will also use a blue LCD with it. The main MCU is planed to be a dsPIC30F family.

there are some bugs in this CHIP!

I finally finished this module,with TI TAS5615,the module picture i'll upload next, I found some bugs in this chip,Friend use this chip are carefully,
First +12v power must constant with +50v power supply ,if +50v power on +12v power down,the chip always burn when power on next time.
Second the balance input OP parts must have good decouple,at signal input port ,sensitive is so high ,DC voltage also on it ,suddenness always here。
NOW,I hearing excellent music with this amp module ,short out, over temperature,heatsink design.all done!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

VOLUME:250mm(L)*65mm(W)*35MM(H)

POWER SUPPLY: 80V~265V AC 50Hz/60Hz GLOBE SOURCE SUPPLY

Last edited:
Would love to see pics of that.

The chip im useing says in the datasheet that no power on sequence is needed, but i dont think i gave it 50V supply without the 12V one.Altho a lot of amps need the controll circuitry powerd up when the output stage is given power as tge ouput stage can do all sorts of things when it has no gate drive.

I'm still waiting on the TAS5630 chips I've got ordered. Both from Farnell and as samples from TI. Other then that everything is ready to go :mad:

As berni8k mentioned TI do state that the power on sequence is uncritical to the operation of the chip. I was thinking of powering on the +12 side before the +50 to check for any problems, now I'm not so sure :confused:

It's interesting that in the datasheet, TI state the lowest voltage for operation is 25v. However the evaluation module says it will be happy from as little as 20. I wonder what the real minimum voltage this will work from is.

berni, is your amp already working?
Few points to consider:
- Due to powervdd switching load behavior, have you thought to increase places for bypass tuning caps, (scope the waveform and kill the swingings with bypass-caps resonance. Search resonances with Murata freeware.
Save: efficiency, EMI, EMC

- think what is your EL-caps impedance at switching freq;-> what it is in about 10th harmonics, is it cap anymore, ( I try to say nicely that that ELco's are about useless in there ( or ofcource better than nothing but only little. Put set of ceramics instead. place Elkos where they belong, in the few 100's nH distance, to form L(cable, trace, etc) || C-ESR filter.
- +12V for control blocks, crosses the best EMI sources and EMC transmitters, still want to disturb +12V even before using it? :). Keep those low current (read: high impedance) traces away from high current loops.
-If you think to use TOP (bottom) layer too, it helps with EMI if you add ground layer. Separate for both the high I and low I side.

All the rest, all the best, even to copy placement :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.