connecting AC-DC power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default connecting AC-DC power supply

Plan to install this Power Supply (3.5Amp) inside TA2020 amplifier. Since this is first time I want to do this correctly.

1. I assume L, N are AC connection, is N stand for "neutral" or ground?, L is "hot" (wider blade)?

2. Usual inside DC jack connects to V+?, and the outside is ground? V- in my case is left unused?.

3. I will use the vol adjustment screw to get it to 13V in my case.

Am I doing this correctly?

thanks,

gychang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps.jpg (85.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 7th July 2009, 12:31 AM   #2
DcibeL is online now DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

From left to right:

1 - Line, 120V "hot" (black wire)
2 - Neutral (white wire)
3 - Ground (green wire)
4 - Negative DC voltage, this is the DC ground in your case
5 - Positive DC voltage

Yes, use the pot to adjust the voltage. Use a multimeter to verify everything before connecting to your amp. Careful powering up a SMPS with no load, some do not take kindly to that.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DcibeL
From left to right:

1 - Line, 120V "hot" (black wire)
2 - Neutral (white wire)
3 - Ground (green wire)
4 - Negative DC voltage, this is the DC ground in your case
5 - Positive DC voltage

Yes, use the pot to adjust the voltage. Use a multimeter to verify everything before connecting to your amp. Careful powering up a SMPS with no load, some do not take kindly to that.
thanks very much, I had it all wrong. First 3 wires are all from AC line. Very helpful.

No load means, I should not turn on the PS without DC all connected? What is SMPS stand for?

gychang
Old 7th July 2009, 01:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
SMPS stands for "Switching Mode Power Supply"

For testing,and voltage adjustment you can use a 12Volt automotive light bulb as a load. Something like an 1157 taillight bulb should be fine.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
SMPS stands for "Switching Mode Power Supply"

For testing,and voltage adjustment you can use a 12Volt automotive light bulb as a load. Something like an 1157 taillight bulb should be fine.
For voltage adjustment, I connect the taillight bulb then connect the leads including AC and the lightbulb should come on. Then I measure the DC output with multimeter while adjusting the trim screw. Do I have it right?

I don't have a taillight bulb, any substitues?

gychang
Old 7th July 2009, 04:59 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Salvage a lamp assembly (not a headlight) from an abandoned car? Like an interior courtesy light, dome light, or exterior clearance light off a truck or van.

Gas stations, auto parts stores, hardware stores, megastores are likely to have the 1156 and 1157 bulbs (and other small 12V bulbs). You can solder directly to the lamp base if you don't have a socket. They also make good tweeter protectors (wired in series) when your speakers are used with high power amps and you aren't in control of the source material.
Old 7th July 2009, 07:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

what is the pros and cons of having the 3-green wire used. Some stereo components frequently omit the 3rd wire.

Is this for the extra margin of safety or "necessary" with amp D.

gychang
Old 9th July 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Ground (green to earth wire) is required for safety. It connects the metal case to ground. this type of Power supply should not be used without a ground connection.

Some amplifiers and other products do not have a ground wire. in these cases the item is designed to prevent access to any metal parts which can carry a fault voltage. The method is known as double-insulated and the case will be marked.

See
Appliance Class

This is a fair over view othe the types (your Powersupply is a class 1 device.
Old 9th July 2009, 11:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiny
The Ground (green to earth wire) is required for safety. It connects the metal case to ground. this type of Power supply should not be used without a ground connection.

Some amplifiers and other products do not have a ground wire. in these cases the item is designed to prevent access to any metal parts which can carry a fault voltage. The method is known as double-insulated and the case will be marked.

See
Appliance Class

This is a fair over view othe the types (your Powersupply is a class 1 device.
thanks much for the advise, I will change over to 3 prong with ground connected.

gychang

Hide this!Advertise here!