connecting AC-DC power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plan to install this Power Supply (3.5Amp) inside TA2020 amplifier. Since this is first time I want to do this correctly.

1. I assume L, N are AC connection, is N stand for "neutral" or ground?, L is "hot" (wider blade)?

2. Usual inside DC jack connects to V+?, and the outside is ground? V- in my case is left unused?.

3. I will use the vol adjustment screw to get it to 13V in my case.

Am I doing this correctly?

thanks,

gychang

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 222
From left to right:

1 - Line, 120V "hot" (black wire)
2 - Neutral (white wire)
3 - Ground (green wire)
4 - Negative DC voltage, this is the DC ground in your case
5 - Positive DC voltage

Yes, use the pot to adjust the voltage. Use a multimeter to verify everything before connecting to your amp. Careful powering up a SMPS with no load, some do not take kindly to that.

DcibeL said:
From left to right:

1 - Line, 120V "hot" (black wire)
2 - Neutral (white wire)
3 - Ground (green wire)
4 - Negative DC voltage, this is the DC ground in your case
5 - Positive DC voltage

Yes, use the pot to adjust the voltage. Use a multimeter to verify everything before connecting to your amp. Careful powering up a SMPS with no load, some do not take kindly to that.

thanks very much, I had it all wrong. First 3 wires are all from AC line. Very helpful.

No load means, I should not turn on the PS without DC all connected? What is SMPS stand for?

gychang

DigitalJunkie said:
SMPS stands for "Switching Mode Power Supply"

For testing,and voltage adjustment you can use a 12Volt automotive light bulb as a load. Something like an 1157 taillight bulb should be fine.

For voltage adjustment, I connect the taillight bulb then connect the leads including AC and the lightbulb should come on. Then I measure the DC output with multimeter while adjusting the trim screw. Do I have it right?

I don't have a taillight bulb, any substitues?

gychang

Salvage a lamp assembly (not a headlight) from an abandoned car? Like an interior courtesy light, dome light, or exterior clearance light off a truck or van.

Gas stations, auto parts stores, hardware stores, megastores are likely to have the 1156 and 1157 bulbs (and other small 12V bulbs). You can solder directly to the lamp base if you don't have a socket. They also make good tweeter protectors (wired in series) when your speakers are used with high power amps and you aren't in control of the source material.

The Ground (green to earth wire) is required for safety. It connects the metal case to ground. this type of Power supply should not be used without a ground connection.

Some amplifiers and other products do not have a ground wire. in these cases the item is designed to prevent access to any metal parts which can carry a fault voltage. The method is known as double-insulated and the case will be marked.

See
Appliance Class

This is a fair over view othe the types (your Powersupply is a class 1 device.

Spiny said:
The Ground (green to earth wire) is required for safety. It connects the metal case to ground. this type of Power supply should not be used without a ground connection.

Some amplifiers and other products do not have a ground wire. in these cases the item is designed to prevent access to any metal parts which can carry a fault voltage. The method is known as double-insulated and the case will be marked.

See
Appliance Class

This is a fair over view othe the types (your Powersupply is a class 1 device.

thanks much for the advise, I will change over to 3 prong with ground connected.

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.