Volume control on TA2024

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I got one of these TA2024 amp boards and I was wondering how to put in a volume control without dong any complicted things. I am really a newbie at this kind of thing so please be clear on the process. Also.. I'm not quite sure how to put in a decent power source without blowing everything up. Please help!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

fouchagalaga said:
Hi, I got one of these TA2024 amp boards and I was wondering how to put in a volume control without dong any complicted things. I am really a newbie at this kind of thing so please be clear on the process. Also.. I'm not quite sure how to put in a decent power source without blowing everything up. Please help!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am also new, and I have the same board. I managed to install the volume pot from this photo by audio1st. Take a close look and u should be able to solder it.

gychang

Attachments

• surevol3.jpg
    surevol3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 919
audio1st said:
At least 2A is a good starting point.

audio1st: I have only modified to cutting/desoldering C3,24, R3,16. Have NOT replaced caps at C13, 21 or Power rail. Just with destruction method the amp sounds good.

What benefit can be expected in replacing the caps?, fuller bass?

what is the advantage of higher amp?, some have recommended higher voltage i.e. 14. What is the advantage?

I am specially fond of acoustic guitar sound and occasional tight bass, is the higher voltage or amp rating help?

gychang

Yes, you can put more/larger capacitors, which in theory should give a little stronger performance, especially in the bass. And from discussions around here, 10,000uf seems to be as much as you could possible need, and you can get good performance with half that or less.

Two things:

1) use high quality caps, usually called either "low ESR" or "low impedance" Panasonic FM series are often mentioned, but most cap mfgrs have something along those lines.

2) put them as close to the chip as you can.

On voltage, the 2024 will start to overheat and shut down at about 13.5-13.8 volts (at least mine did). I set my power supply (some have an adjustment pot inside) to 13.2v and have had no problems. If you use more than 12 volts, a small heat sink is cheap insurance.

You can make a preamp, but it's hard to find a simple one to build that will run well on 12v. Most designs need both + and - as well as a ground and 15v is more typical than 12, so you're into an additional power supply that is not so readily available. If you're getting decent volume, you shouldn't need one.

--Buckapound

Buckapound said:

If you use more than 12 volts, a small heat sink is cheap insurance.

--Buckapound

thanks for very informative and helpful comment.

How do I "glue" the heat sink (without using screws etc). I have modded computer CPU where a clip is used with thermal compound. On amp should have "glue" properties.

any link to a particular product will be very helpful.

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.