HLLY TAMP-20 with TA 2020 CHIP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I haven't posted for awhile, but I've been checking in. I'm updating everyone on all of my Amp adventures for the last year! Also my newest, the HLLY TAMP-20 with the TA2020 Chip.

I didn't see a post here on this yet, so it could be a new product?

I just picked one of these up on ebay for $52 plus the $22 shipping! I should get it in a week. I like the TA 2020 chip, so I've been looking at some of these new 2020 ones lately. This one looked the best. It looks pretty good to me, but I'm not an expert like many of you. Can someone please evaluate the board, there are some nice pics of it in the link I will post. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-20W-TAMP-2...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

I started with the old T-Amp years ago, then got the Trends, then got the Super T-Amp, the got the Charlize Amp, which I like the best! I like the TA 2020 chip. This amp was only a fraction of the cost of Charlize however, so I can't wait to evaluate it. I'll share my findings after it's broken in.

The SMPS that comes with it looks like a really good one from what I can see, it looks like 4A output. That alone costs around $25. I found a really good 4A SMPS about a year ago that I use when I'm not using my 12v 7AH battery. It sounds close to the battery.

Sidenote: OT, I've been listening to my Sansui receiver(s) that I've now bought and sold on ebay. Had a Sansui when I was young :) I started this late last summer and Found what I think may be the best receiver ever made! I sold all of the ones that it took me to find this model. It was so good I had to get a second one (of the same model) for my basement system. Ok, here we go, it has amazing depth to the soundfield with a black background (like Tripath)! Amazing Resolution and Clarity like that of a Tripath Amp. But it also has the warmth and articulation of the music like Sansui was known for! And the best visual red LED power meters ever made.

I'm sharing it now. Only made in 1981,1982 the Sansui 8900ZDB.

Marc

tripath07,
I bought this board (no case or p/s) for $31 a couple of months ago and modified it. It does sound impressive but I still like the Trends better. Bear in mind that I am not an electronician nor a musician. Just an old set of ears.

Attachments

• img_0007.jpg
    img_0007.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,572
I also have this HLLY TA2020 board with the exact set up as yours. Same brand capacitors, except I have a stepped potentiometer. I also have a modified Trends TA2024. The Hlly in my opinion sounds very detailed and analytical whereas the Trends more musical. What is that black area on the right side of your case?

inmrio,
I am using an old RCA DirecTV case and the original plastic frame is on the bottom. I took all the "guts" out but left the frame intact. It would act as an insolator between the steel bottom and the electronic parts. The "black part" was where the old power supply located.
You are right. The Trends is more musical but the HLLY T2020 has a wider sound stage. It's not fair to compare these two units as they use different chipsets but for the price...it is more than a bargain.

cheric, inmrio,

Thanks again! It looks like in the pic from the new auctions, there is now a dark blue cap instead of the Elna. It could be inmrio's BC-brand?' 2.2uf 250v version? or just a new version?

inmrio, did the BC-brand look like the one in the new auction?

They shipped it right away, so I should get it Saturday or on Monday!

Thanks, Have a good one!

Tripath07 said:
cheric, inmrio,

Thanks again! It looks like in the pic from the new auctions, there is now a dark blue cap instead of the Elna. It could be inmrio's BC-brand?' 2.2uf 250v version? or just a new version?

I have three of these boards; the black/gold and the dark blue power caps are all Elnas. The signal caps are all Epcos.

Thanks cheric! Now we will just have to wait and see what it sounds like. Also if the 4A Samsung power supply that comes with it is better than mine. I've got a great 4A one. I'll let guys know how it's going during the break in.

Going to unplug the Sansui in the basement and hook up the Tripath stuff again today! I charged up the 12v 7AH battery last night. Then when the HLLY comes I'll have a gauge to compare it to as it's breaking in.

I'm looking at also getting one of those Lepai amps to check it out, the price is right!

What CD/DVD player do you guys use?

Hi gychang!

Thanks, I'm always looking for "new" great sounding audio stuff. The OPPO 980H reviews indeed point to a great sounding audio piece. Most reviews were with HDMI, I take it you are impressed with the RCA quality also? I may check it out on ebay.

I use the Toshiba SD-3750 DVD player on ALL of my systems. Last summer I started buying older Toshiba DVD players on ebay to find the best sounding one. (Like I did with the Sansui Receivers) Found it, it was sold in 2002, when Toshiba was still concentrating on audio quality. It is the most musical sounding DVD/CD I've ever heard. Must be a great DAC in there! I think it went fpr around $550 new. On ebay, it's hard to find, don't pay more than $30. :)

Specs: S/N 112 DB Audio Dynamic Range 108 DB Very Musical

The TA-2020 board they sell is not the one pictured here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=400051261843
The board they ship is the new version 2, which is pictured here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-20W-TAMP-2...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca320f49f
except for the positions of the bi-pass capacitors around the chips and input caps are white ones as I mentioned before and there is no heatsink.
It might be better to get an assembled unit.
They are always up for auction and go for around USD70.00.
As mentioed the sound stage is awesome.
I have some recordings that the music envelops you, where the sound comes far left and far right of the speakers.
Some of my friends think i have a surround sound system.

The HLLY arrived yesterday! I had to crack it open and take a look inside. It looks great in there! NOT THRU-HOLE! I was very happy to see that. This seller rocks, express mail, VERY WELL PACKED. Build quality is GREAT! RCA's and Banana's are NICE QUALITY! They fit very tight to my connectors!!!!!!! :)

Plugged it in, and it lit up but NO SOUND. Had a little SCARE! They have the red and white posts wrong. They have red on top, should be like normal on bottom. The green light is WAY too bright. wow.

Turned it on again and heard the little pop and turned up the volume and it was fine. First impressions. The power supply is silent, (a great sign) the sound is wide and open. The dynamics are awesume right out of the box! The sound and timing is properly presented with depth like I like with the TA2020! It has great depth and clarity right out of the box. Although it's a little thin which is to be expected until it's broken in. It does NOT seem to have that harsh sound the Trends, Sonic Impact had at first. Although maybe a tiny bit.

My feelings are this is ALREADY better than the Trends and Super T-Amp. Again too me it's the TA2020's proper presentation of the music (layered and better clarity), that I like ALOT better than the TA2024. This thing has very good deep bass already in the background, should get fuller with break-in. Although it's thin in the over-all soundfield, but that should improve with break-in also. It already has a little nice liquid sound, which should get better also, another great sign. It is more dynamic out of the box than Charlize was early on! Could be the 103 DB audio dynamic range? If it ends up sounding near Charlize it is a BARGIN at this price!

I will try the 12v 7AH battery after about a hundred hours. I will also try my other 4A SMPS then to compare it to the Samsung that came with the HLLY.

More later!

Tripath07 said:
Hi gychang!

Thanks, I'm always looking for "new" great sounding audio stuff. The OPPO 980H reviews indeed point to a great sounding audio piece. Most reviews were with HDMI, I take it you are impressed with the RCA quality also? I may check it out on ebay.

I use the Toshiba SD-3750 DVD player on ALL of my systems.

wonder how the Toshiba compares to Oppo. does Toshiba have optical output?, your review of the amp is helpful.

gychang

"wonder how the Toshiba compares to Oppo. does Toshiba have optical output?, your review of the amp is helpful."

gychang

I'm glad the review was helpful. This amp is a monster! It is more liquid sounding now after playing it all day. I'm pumped. Dynamics are the best I've heard. The power supply appears to be really good, I'm guessing it has alot to do with it sounding this good?

Yes, the Toshiba SD-3750 has a optical output, and a coax ouput, as well as RCA's. I have a SD-3750 in the master bedroom hooked up to a Pioneer Elite receiver with an optical cable and a coax cable running out of it. I flip back and forth sometimes listening to which I like better. Coax seems to win for music, optical wins for DVD movies. The picture quality of the SD-3750 is also outstanding. But it is the sound with the RCA's that where it really shines imo, very musical with depth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.