Worthwhile to make my own tactile transducer amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Worthwhile to make my own tactile transducer amplifier?

I made a tactile transducer out of an old 10" sub-woofer last summer and have been using a receiver to power it since then. My original plan was to make a nice DIY amplifier with volume control, an adjustable low-pass filter, and both high- and line-level inputs. I was aware of the Buttkicker BKA1000-4A, but thought I might be able to do better.

After reading a little more, it seems like the BKA1000-4A is a very good deal. I would like to know if you think it would be possible to accomplish the same features and quality myself for lower cost (~$300) or if it would be wiser to simply purchase the BKA1000-4A. I'm still learning, so maybe this would be a project beyond my current level and would result in more aggravation than satisfaction.

BKA1000-4A
Old 12th June 2009, 01:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There isn't anything special about that amp, it's just an amplifier. That said, I think you will be very hard pressed to build a complete amp at that power level with chassis and power supply for ~$300.
Old 12th June 2009, 05:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I might still make my own just for the learning experience. The reason I posted this in the Class D forum is that the BKA1000-4A is Class D and it seems like most sub-woofer amps are as well. Originally, I was thinking about a chip amp, since they are very easy and cheap. Assuming I choose to go the DIY route, would I be best served taking the time to learn the intricacies of Class D and making a Class D amp or would a chip amp work just as well (tactile transducers have demands similar to sub-woofers)? I assume there are particularities of each type that I should know about before I make a decision. Can you give me a nudge in the right direction?
Old 12th June 2009, 03:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think the buttkicker amp is of the low switching frequency variety making it usable for sub use only; it wouldn't play full-range even if you wanted it to.

I'm biased toward class-d, especially for sub use because of the efficiency. You can get a linear chipamp to put out high power in a bridged/parallel configuration, but it will produce quite a bit of heat and won't be cheap or easy.

I wouldn't get too worried about sound quality differences in amplifier topologies for this kind of use.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your help, theAnonymous1. Efficiency will be important, I'm sure. From what I have read about tactile transducers, their amplifiers are the hardest working components in a usual system. I'm not worried about sound quality, since I'm sure any good design I find will "sound" fine with a tactile transducer. Time to start learning about Class D!

Hide this!Advertise here!