B&O 1000ASP Module - Adding supply capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2009, 06:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B&O 1000ASP Module - Adding supply capacitors

Hi,

I found this webpage

http://www.hifisentralen.no/cgi/yabb...0;showall=true

Were the user LydMekk has added 4 x 10,000uF caps to the DC-Bus / P1 section of the 1000ASP module.

Currently the registration for the board is closed so I cannot contact him, but wondering what pins he has connected it to? At a guess I think its pin 1 and 4 ? which is PGND and Vpl?

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com...000aspdata.pdf

Page 3 / DC-Bus P1

I would like to add in a pair of Mundorf M-Lytic HC 47,000uF Caps per channel and need to know which pins to attach them to.

Can anyone help?
Old 9th June 2009, 06:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The P1 connect pins are:

DC-bus Connector Specification (P1)

PIN Function Description Type
1 PGND Power supply Ground GND
2 Vp2 (80V) Power supply 80V Output
3 PGND Power supply Ground GND
4 Vp1 (120V) Power supply 120V Output
5 Vcc (+12.8V) Power supply +12.8V Output
6 Vss (-12.8V) Power supply 12.8V Output
Old 9th June 2009, 11:36 AM   #3
acid_k2 is offline acid_k2  Italy
diyAudio Member

FIRST OF ALL:
Mundorf M-Lytic HC are rated at 80 and 100V (unless you have something special), but the 1000ASP module has 120V rail voltage. Your caps will EXPLODE if connected. Don't do that. You need at least 160V capacitors.

Second:
If you have 160V caps, pins are 1(-) and 4(+). Another option is 3(-) and 4(+), but they are too close to solder a big cable.

Thirth:
The DC-bus P1 is NOT intended (= undersized) to connect caps. PCB tracks is a better choice, if you can easily and safetly access to them.

Fourth:
47000uF is a lot. The starting current peak can kill the internal power supply.

Fifth:
You need big and AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE cables. Resistance/reactance of cables limits the effects of new caps.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the comments

Below is a picture, looks like Wyred for sound use a sub-board with muse caps.

Top right-hand corner.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wyred for Sound 1000ASP Version:

Rather than just place the stock board into a fancy chassis and jack up the price, the folks at W4S discovered that they could improve the module's performance with additional circuitry and modifications. Under the hood, I noted several components on the stock board swapped out. Even the fuses received attention. Instead of the standard glass-body fuse, a gold-plated OFC Critical Link fuse (distributed by PS Audio) is installed in each mono amp.

Furthermore, the SX-1000, as do all Wyred 4 Sound amplifiers, features a proprietary direct-coupled dual balanced FET input buffer stage with zero feedback for greater compatibility with difficult low output impedance sources. Hence the whopping 61.9K input impedance. All input and output wiring is a combination of stranded OFC and silver wire. Additional RF suppression on each output eliminates potential RFI issues. Each input stage features dedicated dual-filtered power supplies using low equivalent series (ESR) Muse capacitors. All signal path resistors are hand matched Dale Rn55d copper-leaded non-magnetic units. Incidentally, the 1000ASP board features soft start-up and comprehensive protection including thermal, over current, under voltage and high frequency.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I wonder what, RF suppression and dual-filtered power supplies actually add to the sound quality?????
Old 9th June 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Remember to connect the caps to the 120V pin (use 160V rated caps) because the onboard amp is fed 120V and also connect BOTH PGND pins. Start with 8-10000uF and see if you notice a difference, the progressively add more until its no longer worth it. The soft start should be able to handle quite of bit of extra capacitance although I can't tell you exactly how much. If you have access to the 1000ASP designer's manual you can see measurements of how the added capacitance affects power output when you're powering additional modules.

/U.
Old 10th June 2009, 03:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nisbeth
Remember to connect the caps to the 120V pin (use 160V rated caps) because the onboard amp is fed 120V and also connect BOTH PGND pins. Start with 8-10000uF and see if you notice a difference, the progressively add more until its no longer worth it. The soft start should be able to handle quite of bit of extra capacitance although I can't tell you exactly how much. If you have access to the 1000ASP designer's manual you can see measurements of how the added capacitance affects power output when you're powering additional modules.

/U.

Hi Nisbeth,

Thanks for your comments.

If I was only powering a single module, is it actually worth adding additional a supply caps?
Old 10th June 2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

From a power perspective I would say no, but that doesn't mean that you can't get better sound. However, in this case I would probably go for quality over quantity, so rather than just adding as much capacitance as you can get your hands on, use good electrolytics up to 5-10000 uF and then bypass with quality MKPs or whatever your personal preference is. Then listen and decide if you can actually hear a difference

/U.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:32 PM   #10
acid_k2 is offline acid_k2  Italy
diyAudio Member

IMMO this power amp module is difficult to mod, adding supply caps. You should remove heatsink and try to solder huge cables on the PCB. Almost impossible.
Soldering long pieces of cables (in a long chain of caps) in that small connector, like link in post n. 1, is simply effectless ( and slightly unsafe and money-wasting...)

Hide this!Advertise here!