Class D Amp Kit or/and Car Amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
R. Jamm is offline R. Jamm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Class D Amp Kit or/and Car Amp?

I have a few questions about class-D amps:

Does anyone know of a complete Class-D amp kit for 3 to 5 channel in one chassis (100 watts +)? A kit that contains everything and all you would have to do is just solder and put the kit together?

Most cars power amps are Class-D, is it possible to reconfigure those for home audio use? Has anybody tried a car amp in a home system and what were the results?
Old 24th May 2009, 03:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 41Hz Amp9
"4 channel amps for 12V - 24V and low impedance loads

* Four channels of Tripath sound quality, based on Tripath TAA4100A
* Output 4x50W at low distortion, 4x100W peak
* Suitable for low impedance loads, 4 x 2 ohms 12V typical
* Up to 27V supplies make them suitable for 12 or 24V systems.
* Outputs can be paralelled for even higher outputs into very low impedance loads
* Mostly hole mounted components. Relatively low component count."
From the 41Hz site

It can be a bit fiddly but you get good back up from the the forum.
Old 27th May 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of home stereo/theater are class D ICs, some you can look in the back and see them. I was thinking of building one of the larger 100rms IC like an STK but not seeing much here and some of the data sheet is in Japanese. The issue with cars is you need a switching power supply and they are more of a pain to build, with home amps you don't, but otherwise the amp itself is the same thing. If you find one the right size you can cut the PS out of a car amp. Of course if you don't have a board for your IC then the project could be much larger depending on your skills.
Old 27th May 2009, 05:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I actually have the amp9 built by vbro off of the 41hz site but I have actually never used it. I am still debating if I will put it into action or sell it off. My assumption is with the low profile version which is a 12volt amplifier I will need to use pretty low impedance speakers to suck some power out of this amp. I have built a few amp 6s myself and they sound pretty good, they may end up in my car.
Old 1st June 2009, 08:00 AM   #5
GWEE is offline GWEE  United States
diyAudio Member

Who sells the 41Hz Amp9 kit? I am a neebie to amp buildng so ill need all the help i can get. So if i can find a place/site that i can buy everything i need to build a amp would help.
Old 4th June 2009, 04:24 PM   #6
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GWEE
Who sells the 41Hz Amp9 kit? I am a neebie to amp buildng so ill need all the help i can get. So if i can find a place/site that i can buy everything i need to build a amp would help.

try here:
http://new.41hz.com/shop/

gychang
Old 7th June 2009, 12:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Attica Saigon m
excused but I do not know l' English and this are a translation online with babel fish

for an amplifier in class D to use in car you can watch the products of cold amp, have planned a good adaptable converter DC-DC to various requirements.

http://www.coldamp.com/opencms/opencms/coldamp/en/index.html

hello

Hide this!Advertise here!