diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   How good a decent built UCD400 amp could be£¿Thanks. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/144509-how-good-decent-built-ucd400-amp-could-thanks.html)

ping.shakl 21st May 2009 11:16 AM

How good a decent built UCD400 amp could be£¿Thanks.

Hi everyone, I am from New Zealand. Please forgive my poor English because I'm new immigrant here.:D

Currently, I spent a lot time studying the UCD classD amp. And plan to build a dual mono amp with two UCD400 using 2 SMPS both from hypex.

My question is, since the project will not be cheap, how good it will be£¿ Will it beat 1000-2000USD amps in the market?

And does it really wroth go for UCD400HG rathen than ST? And will liner power supplier sound better than SMPS?

Thanks. :cool:

col 23rd May 2009 02:30 AM

Hi Ping.Shaki,

I built a amp based on the UcD400 modules. I wanted to build it as cheap as possible so all the other components were purchased/sourced in Australia. I think we share the same stores, Jaycar, Altronics etc...

Even though I built this on the cheap it is an excellent sounding, very powerful amp with low noise floor. Worth every cent.

http://minirig.org.au/2008/12/22/minirig-hypex-ucd400/

If you look at the last picture it has a bill of materials with cost breakdown.

col.

hien.t.nguyen 24th May 2009 02:50 PM

Hi all.
I have 1 board UCD180ST use 2 mosfet STP14NF10 wrong, I has change by IRF 640 in to this board UCD but not uses.it very hot and osc about 100khz
Can you hepl my STP14NF10 or mosfet changer.
Thank you very much.

eclectic2k 29th May 2009 04:37 AM

Hi Ping.Shaki,

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I think it will easily beat $1k to $2k amps on the market. I also think you are much better off with the HG stuff, though I have not compared. (I have some standard 180's I need to wire up for surround amp duty)

I built a dual mono UCD400HG amp using linear supplies (a couple of 500VA toroids and the Hypex HG supplies). Similar to col, I bought everything besides the boards over 'here' (the US for me).

I also ended up ordering the hypex HxR's after the fact. The result is superb!
I recently had a chance to listen to it with some very expensive, very nice speakers and it sounded great there as well. I would say it seemed to get out of the way of the music quite well :D

I used linear supplies mostly because I'm not sure SMPS is really ready for audio yet. I've never had a chance to listen to a good SMPS powered amp, so I could very well be wrong :xeye: (maybe one of these days I'll try it, for now I figured linear was a safer bet for better sound...)

bwaslo 29th May 2009 11:05 PM

I've got the Hypex SMPS supplies, and I'd say they're ready for audio. I haven't compared them to linear supplies, see no reason to really. The amps with the SMPS have nothing to apologize for. Quite amazing amplifiers. (and zero mechanical transformer hum, btw).

Ian Millar 12th November 2009 10:17 AM

And I just finished one with a pair of older UcD400ST modules (the ones with OPA2134 SMD on the back) with a 625VA toroidal. Here it is with further bla bla bla:

Class-D Stereo Amplifier for Bass Drivers (Bi-amplification) « Ian's Projects

Hi Col.... :)

col 12th November 2009 10:59 PM

Hi Ian,

Have you done a head-to-head comparison/blind test involving a non-biased audience between your UcD400 and your Valve amp fullrange?

Rod's latest article exposing valve myths is great!

Valves - Myths

col.

Ian Millar 12th November 2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by col (Post 1978815)
Have you done a head-to-head comparison/blind test involving a non-biased audience between your UcD400 and your Valve amp fullrange?

Hey Col,

I only finished building the amp last week. :)

Can you recommend such an audience? There is bias everywhere I look (including in the mirror). ;)

Seriously - no - the amp was built for bass use only and I like valve sound (distorted or otherwise) for mid and high.

Cheers,

col 12th November 2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Millar (Post 1978865)
Hey Col,

Can you recommend such an audience? There is bias everywhere I look (including in the mirror). ;)

Orchestra musicians are great for audio blind testing, go and make some friends with your local orchestra.

col.

dubai2000 13th November 2009 09:44 PM

col,

you also use a TA3020 amp if I'm not mistaken. Do you care to elaborate on the sound differences between those amps? Your response will be appreciated - thx in advance.