Hypex UcD AS2.100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't seem to get any audio out of my unit...

I've done everything right according to the manual, and I like to think im no idiot with electronics.. I'm using the analog input, and I've forced the input in the control software.

When I touch the other end of the analog cable connected to the amplifier I should get a buzzing noice, but that doesnt happen.

There is signal to the drivers for sure, since there is a very low amount of backround when I put my ear right next to them.

Any ideas what might be wrong? :confused:

I am getting towards the end of a 3 way project using two AS2.100 Digital units and separate plate amps for the bass woofers. I have managed to configure the AS2.100 units correctly but I have had a few issues, some of which are ongoing.

Firstly, I was unable to connect to the AS2.100 units from my Macbook Pro running Windows 7 64 through Bootcamp. The software runs, but saving of filter settings doesn't appear to work. Attempting to access the settings page hangs the software.

I then went to another old laptop running XP professional. I was able to connect to the AS2.100 units, create filters and load them. Saving of filters didn't work on this platform either, and nor did the settings page. I'm using the current 2.3 version of the software.

I'm very happy with the sound and they can be made to work, but I was wondering if anyone has found a way around the saving issue, as it's pretty inconvenient to recreate the filters every time I want to tweak the speakers. Or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Tom

Just to let users know, I talked through the issues above with supports at hypex and you can get around the saving issue if you make sure you are physically plugged into an AS2.100 when you first create your filters. After that you don't need to be plugged in.

Also, if you're having trouble getting to the settings page, just make sure you're doing your measurements at 48kHz. That's all you can really change through settings really, and it's probably just best to measure at that sample rate.

I still haven't had any luck with connecting from my macbook running Win7 64 through bootcamp, but this probably has to do with my laptop more than anything else. I'm using an ancient HP (XPSP3 32bit) laptop to connect and that works fine

I am really impressed and happy with the AS2.100s. I've made many changes to my crossover settings and have been able to tune my speakers very nicely to my tastes. It does allow easy tweaking and this has meant weekly (sometimes daily) adjustments to the filters, and the permanent presence of a measurement microphone and stand in my living room :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Default volume is very low at first startup. Have you pressed vol+ _many_ times on the control panel PCB?

I've set up the AS2.100 without the keypad, because I really dont need it. It seems however that this is not possible, as the input selections and volume settings programmed with the HFD software is not saved for the next power-up. When the unit is powered off with the power switch, all settings go back to default, meaning there is no sound.... According to Hypex support, saving of the settings is done only when the unit is placed in standby with the remote keypad.

I have asked Hypex to change this, so that input selection and volume is saved also when they are set with the HFD software.

Would this work:
1. Set your filters using the software.
2. Turn on the AS2.100 with the control panel fitted for now.
3. Adjust the volume to the desired level.
4. Put the unit into standby using the control panel (and this way save that volume level).
5. Remove the control panel and operate without it.

I can't try it with mine because the I can't remove the control panel without destroying my speakers :) I can verify that the only time it saves the volume is when you put it to sleep.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I hope you can help me here

some time ago I promised a famely to help him new speakers, or in fact a whole new system

I would be tempted to build the speaker with two of the digital plateamps
but I still dont know what is possible, and what isnt
seem to have remote controlled volume

will the remote receiver work if amp module is mounted on the back of speaker ?
or will it have to be mounted on front ?
and then, would a front grille or cloth disturb the receiver ?

Hi Tinitus,
The amplifierplate and the remote receiver are 2 seperate parts connected by a flatwire. Best thing to do is to mount the buttons together with the IR receiver in the speaker front and the amp plate in the back. IR will not work if there is any solid material in the way between sender (remote) and receiver, i.e. wood. Grille or cloth will work fine. We also got an airtight touch solution, AS2 touchpad.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ok, that would work

how about a wireless source receiver option, to take signal from smart phone etc ?

or alternatively I suppose it will take any kind of usb connected source, like appleTV
which then would have the wireless receiver

or ipod connected directly, fore his children
but Im sure their dad would like the more convenient wirwless option

Apple TV isn't USB connected. But just like it's audio-only companion Airport Express it has an optical digital stereo audio output. The AE also features an analog stereo output signal.

Please keep in mind that those devices are AirPlay receivers, which in turn is an iTunes feature. There are third party tools like Airfoil, though. But those also don't feature latency free transmission (i.e. for movies or TV).

As of my knowledge there is no audiophile (i.e. bit-perfect) wireless audio or video transmission system that has a negligible latency.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Apple TV isn't USB connected. .

your right, I should have checked first :eek:

anyway
with the media server, he can still use his smartphone to control it
but if something different, maybe it wont work at all

ah, ok, it will take S/PDIF digital input, but not the optical option from...well

it could ofcourse just use the RCA analoge input, but I really dont see the point when you have a digital media

Tinitus,

I have the digital version of the AS2.100 and you can get a digital signal into the unit two ways, through SPDIF digital coax (this is different from SPDIF optical) and USB Audio. The Apple TV has an SPDIF output, but it's optical. If you want to get a digital signal from the Apple TV into the AS2.100 you'll need a optical to coaxial SPDIF converter (they do exist), but this isn't an ideal solution.

What I have connected to the AS2.100 is a Marantz NA-7004. This has Airplay, so it can play from an iPhone/laptop, but also has digital and analogue radio, internet radio, blah blah lots of features that I don't use. It does have a digital coaxial output, that goes straight into the AS2.100. It doesn't have wireless though, it needs to be plugged into your wireless router using a CAT5 cable, need to keep that in mind. 90% if the time I stream songs from iTunes to the AS2.100s using the marantz and the airplay feature. 10% of the time it gets an analogue signal from my tv.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.