Hypex UcD AS2.100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the off-topic....

Matthijs,

You've stated that Hypex will realease a higher powered module than the PSC2.400, Model PSC2.700.

I would like to know what is the roadmap for this product?

It shall be based on UcD700 OEM, correct?

SMPS will be SMPS1200, otherwise if bridged you wouldn't get the full potential of the UcD700 modules?

Will you improve the sample rate that is used for the DSP section?

If you used a 96kHz/24bit signaling for DSP that Up-sampled lower resolution signals to 96kHz/24Bit and down-sample higher sample rates such as 192kHz/24Bit (I imagine using DSP at 192kHz besides being a technical problem it would be far more expensive) would e a great plus!

Is it possible for you to supply the PSC2.400 but with a SMPS1200?

Yes, we're working on a 700Watts PSC but for now this development is not yet finished.

The dsp board is exactly the same as in the PSC2.400 and DSP2W. Therefore the dsp samplerate is 48kHz. For the digital input we use a samplerate converter that will convert all samplerates to 48kHz.

AS2.100 DSP File Format

I have a .dsp file for the AS2.100 that I'm getting a read error when I try to open it. I suspect the .dsp file was saved with an older version of the Hypex software. This file was supplied by the designer of my speakers (Newform Research) who now sells a version of my speakers with the AS2.100 built in. I have emailed the file to customer support at Hypex but have not heard back yet. I read on the Hypex site that they changed the layout of the file somewhere around V1.3 or V1.4 does anyone know how to import this (old version) file into the current version of the Hypex Filter Design software? Thanks for the help, and as a new member I am finding this sight very informative.

I have a .dsp file for the AS2.100 that I'm getting a read error when I try to open it. I suspect the .dsp file was saved with an older version of the Hypex software. This file was supplied by the designer of my speakers (Newform Research) who now sells a version of my speakers with the AS2.100 built in. I have emailed the file to customer support at Hypex but have not heard back yet. I read on the Hypex site that they changed the layout of the file somewhere around V1.3 or V1.4 does anyone know how to import this (old version) file into the current version of the Hypex Filter Design software? Thanks for the help, and as a new member I am finding this sight very informative.

This is already solved. It was indeed a old version of the software (v1.2). When we changed to 2.0 we also had to change the save-file setup. All version starting at 2.0 will be compatible.

Can you please supply a download link for version 2.0

Your website does not have a customer support tab, and download shows nothing related to software upgrades.
You should make that a bit easier accessible - there are good examples out there...

Under Product info at our website you can find the download links to the latest versions.
Filter Design 2.2 link

A couple questions regarding the PSC2.400D. I want to upgrade my sub set up to two small sealed subs powered by these using dsp together with high bridged power to flatten the curve and extend low frequency response (and remove room nodes). Using a Meridian 568 spdif sub out as source. The Meridian has phono spdif out, how to connect/convert to the AES input? and, is bridging the dual ucd400's going to give that much extra power when there's just the single 400w smps to power them? Very satisfied UcD400HG HxR/SMPS400 customer! (will have a leftover single UcD400HG HxR/SMPS400 from the present single sub if of any interest)

A couple questions regarding the PSC2.400D. I want to upgrade my sub set up to two small sealed subs powered by these using dsp together with high bridged power to flatten the curve and extend low frequency response (and remove room nodes). Using a Meridian 568 spdif sub out as source. The Meridian has phono spdif out, how to connect/convert to the AES input? and, is bridging the dual ucd400's going to give that much extra power when there's just the single 400w smps to power them? Very satisfied UcD400HG HxR/SMPS400 customer! (will have a leftover single UcD400HG HxR/SMPS400 from the present single sub if of any interest)

Hi,
To use SPDIF on the AES input you'll need some kind of converter.
You can find some searching for SPDIF to AES/EBU converter

Hi,

Actually, just using a Cinch to XLR converter works fine, but you will have a slight impedance mismatch (75 to 110 ohm).

It's well explained here for example on page 17.

TC Electronic | BMC-2 Manuals

But I've been running my PSC2.400 for quite a while now with SPDIF straight into the AES/EBU inputs and keep forgetting to hook up such an adaptor because it works just fine.

Hi,

Hi, thanks...there's all sorts of conflicting views on SPDIF to AES conversion, some say just wire hot and cold (pin 2 pin 3) to phono + and gnd, leaving pin 1 (gnd) floating, or using transformer coupling, or resistor networks for the 110Ω - 75Ω for impedance matching etc etc, so confusing. Also, won't the AES 7vp input find the 0.5vpp output of the SPDIF too weak?

I've found the answer:

LUNDAHL LL1574 TRANSFORMER Digital audio impedance matching, PC mounting, 100/75 ohms

I don't think it's a good idea to direct wire pin to pin...it may well work but I've got a feeling the impedance mismatch may well be inviting cable reflections and therefore jitter problems - if you are hotwiring SPDIF RCA to AES XLR at present, I bet introducing this tranny would bring audible improvements. This is the route I'll go anyway.

I've found the answer:

LUNDAHL LL1574 TRANSFORMER Digital audio impedance matching, PC mounting, 100/75 ohms

I don't think it's a good idea to direct wire pin to pin...it may well work but I've got a feeling the impedance mismatch may well be inviting cable reflections and therefore jitter problems - if you are hotwiring SPDIF RCA to AES XLR at present, I bet introducing this tranny would bring audible improvements. This is the route I'll go anyway.

I agree, this seems the way to go. I was just pointing out that it works going from SPDIF straight into AES/EBU, not trying to imply it was the optimal solution!

Now that you've brought this up, I want to finally do this properly myself. Did you notice in the data sheet for the LL1574, they mention two versions of AES/EBU. One on 1.2 Volts and one on 4 Volts with the latter requiring two resistors in addition to the transformer as well. I wasn't aware of that distinction, now which one is it with the PSC2.400?

Matthijs, could you maybe shed some light on this question about the AES/EBU voltage? I'm getting occasional random spikes in my setup and was thinking it might have something to do with not perfectly matched impedances.

My setup is TC-BMC2 into PSC2.400 (l) into PSC2.400 (r) into Behringer DCX2496 (for the subs) all digital.

The spike occurs every couple of minutes and it's basically a loud thump in the subs, but I assume it's a full range spike before it's low-passed in the DCX.

Or any other ideas what could be causing this spike?

I'm no Class D expert but I've encountered many of these. Either a cap or large conductor like a chassis is loading up then dumping (discharging) somehow. You need to probe DC voltages in several spots w.r.t. ground, especially chassis and large, normally-neutral conductors w.r.t. ground, over at least one cycle of the behavior per test lead. It's a starting point.

Hello,

I currently have two AS2.100 modules on hand and would like to power one subwoofer each.

1. Which configuration would be the right one to get "stereo-subwoofers"?

2. Is it possible to get separate signals for left and right to the subwoofers, or do I only have the sum of both?

3. To which positions do I have to connect the subwoofer to get the "bridged power"?

Thanks and regards,
Alex

Last edited:
I'm no Class D expert but I've encountered many of these. Either a cap or large conductor like a chassis is loading up then dumping (discharging) somehow. You need to probe DC voltages in several spots w.r.t. ground, especially chassis and large, normally-neutral conductors w.r.t. ground, over at least one cycle of the behavior per test lead. It's a starting point.

Hmm, yeah. But those plate amps are self contained units really, so it would be case of warranty rather than me starting to troubleshoot the units.

But I'll have to do some further testing to find out which one of the units it actually is (the spike is always on the right channel), which means hooking them up one by one and also trying analog, to see if the problem persists.

And I've just noticed that there's a software update to 2.2 available, so I'll try that as well.

It would still be nice to know about the correct voltage with witch to drive these things digitally, Matthijs or anyone?

Hello,

I currently have two AS2.100 modules on hand and would like to power one subwoofer each.

1. Which configuration would be the right one to get "stereo-subwoofers"?

2. Is it possible to get separate signals for left and right to the subwoofers, or do I only have the sum of both?

3. To which positions do I have to connect the subwoofer to get the "bridged power"?

Thanks and regards,
Alex

Hi,

1 & 2. For this option you should set the AS2.100 to "Bridged" & "Left" or "Right".

3. To connect your woofer in bridged mode you should connect it to the two plusses of the amps.

Please see page 10 of the manual for more information about the bridged mode and connecting your speaker.

What load will you use in bridge mode?

Hmm, yeah. But those plate amps are self contained units really, so it would be case of warranty rather than me starting to troubleshoot the units.

But I'll have to do some further testing to find out which one of the units it actually is (the spike is always on the right channel), which means hooking them up one by one and also trying analog, to see if the problem persists.

And I've just noticed that there's a software update to 2.2 available, so I'll try that as well.

It would still be nice to know about the correct voltage with witch to drive these things digitally, Matthijs or anyone?

Hi,
I send you a private message yesterday.

Signal levels for the AES should be as defined in the standard. I thonk it was 110Ohms and >2Volts p-p, but you'll have to check this to be sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.