Hypex UcD AS2.100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ds23man said:
JP,

I'm running XP pro, it is not a big problem if you know it exists. It would be frustrating if you made a lot of effort creating a filter design and you minimize the window to read an incoming email and then discover all your work is in the dustbin because you can't save it before closing the software.

Regards,

Gerhard

Ok, understandable.

I have also tried it on another pc with Windows XP PRo, and also none problem....

We will check this on other PC in the office tomorrow.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

JP,

I have a question about the trigger signal between the modules, is it bi-directional or one way? Is it possible to use one master and more than one slave in a surround setup by splitting the triggersignal? Furthermore if read the manual correctly, the volumecontrol is done in the digital domain. If so, is the sound quality not degraded at low listening levels due to working the DAC's in the LSB range?

Regards,

Gerhard

ds23man said:
JP,

I have a question about the trigger signal between the modules, is it bi-directional or one way? Is it possible to use one master and more than one slave in a surround setup by splitting the triggersignal? Furthermore if read the manual correctly, the volumecontrol is done in the digital domain. If so, is the sound quality not degraded at low listening levels due to working the DAC's in the LSB range?

Regards,

Gerhard

The triggering is only working for two amplifiers. A multichannel setup will anyhow not be possible with standard USB Audio or SPDIF input.

Indeed volume control is done in the digital domain, using an external volume control chip will be worse, and much more expensive.

The sonic performance of this product is fine.... :angel: ...don't worry.... ;)

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

The triggering is only working for two amplifiers. A multichannel setup will anyhow not be possible with standard USB Audio or SPDIF input.

Indeed volume control is done in the digital domain, using an external volume control chip will be worse, and much more expensive.

The sonic performance of this product is fine.... :angel: ...don't worry.... ;)

Jan-Peter

JP,

What is the trick with the volumecontrol in the digital domain? Everybody knows the sound quality is severely degraded if you run DAC at LSB levels, I know I used the first digital crossovers from Yamaha in the 90's to the latest Pa systems with digital crossovers ( Axys Target).

Regards,

Gerhard

Jan-Peter said:

Later this year we will come with an high end stereo in maximum 6 channels out. Some technical details;

- 2 channel in, and 6 channel out.
- Input analog, digital AES/SPDIF, USB audio input.
- Control by USB and PC software.
- Resolution, 24 bits / max 192 kHz sampling.
- A/D converters AKM, AK5385A. D/A converters AKM, AK4395.
- DSP TI , optional adding a second one to increase processing power.
- Power supply only 2x12V, all regulators low voltage on board, optional use of our HxR audiophile regulators.
- Special clock design with extremely low jitter.
- Use of sample rate converter.
- Special gain section to adjust at several different sensitive. Guaranteed highest SNR level.
- Optimized for low EMI.
- Size only 105x105mm.
- Optional IR remote control.
- Optional graphical display.
- Optional input relays section to use it as a preamp.
- Digital volume control, we will write our own firmware, target is to have performance the same as with an analog volume control. Will definitely sound much better as the PGA volume control chips!

This will be a true high end audiophile solution.

Jan-Peter

Woooow, a fully integrated solution !!! :)

Some questions :
1° - About the 2 channels input : balanced/unbalanced ?
2° - BTW for the 6 Output : balanced/unbalanced ?
3° - Much power processing with a 2nd DSP : equalizer function ?
4° - Some infos about the amps at the output ...

Very intersting piece and great job Jan Peter & Bruno :smash:

ds23man said:

JP,

What is the trick with the volumecontrol in the digital domain? Everybody knows the sound quality is severely degraded if you run DAC at LSB levels, I know I used the first digital crossovers from Yamaha in the 90's to the latest Pa systems with digital crossovers ( Axys Target).

Regards,

Gerhard

The trick is dithering...., please read all these links;
http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/dvdaudio/dither.htm
http://www.users.qwest.net/~volt42/cadenzarecording/DitherExplained.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=VZ...LTjDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

Jan-Peter

korben69 said:

Woooow, a fully integrated solution !!! :)

Some questions :
1° - About the 2 channels input : balanced/unbalanced ?
2° - BTW for the 6 Output : balanced/unbalanced ?
3° - Much power processing with a 2nd DSP : equalizer function ?
4° - Some infos about the amps at the output ...

Very intersting piece and great job Jan Peter & Bruno :smash:

1. only unbalanced.
2. yeah..., the high end version will be fully balanced input and output.
3. indeed a second TAS3108 can eb add to increase delay time, or FIR filtering what you wants.
4.? I do not understand, please explain?

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

1. only unbalanced.
2. yeah..., the high end version will be fully balanced input and output.
3. indeed a second TAS3108 can eb add to increase delay time, or FIR filtering what you wants.
4.? I do not understand, please explain?

Jan-Peter

My skill is weak as my English is poor...
What I mean concern the amps, will they be integrated or could we connect some existing Ucd refs...

korben69 said:

My skill is weak as my English is poor...
What I mean concern the amps, will they be integrated or could we connect some existing Ucd refs...

Sorry, I mixed up the AS2.100 with the upcomming high end DSP solution.

The upcomming high end DSP solution;
- fully balanced input two channels and 6 channels balanced output.
- no power amplifiers, only high end D/A converters from AKM.
- it's only a DSP board, size aprox. 100x100mm

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

Sorry, I mixed up the AS2.100 with the upcomming high end DSP solution.

Jan-Peter

So BTW we could re-use existing UcD modules ;)
Another stupid question : the output volume control will be available for the 6 chanels ?

korben69 said:

So BTW we could re-use existing UcD modules ? ;)

Correct!

Not possible with the AS2.100, this one use already this module;
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcD100OEM_datasheet.pdf

Ok, if you have a lot of electronic experience you can remove the UcD100OEM modules add some wiring and connect this to another UcD module. But we will not recommend this.... :whazzat:

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:
indeed a second TAS3108 can eb add to increase delay time, or FIR filtering what you wants.

Jan-Peter said:

Great!

Any chance of per-channel limiters too?

:cool:

Dear Jan-Peter,

What about keypad? Is it in the package for each AS2.100? Or we need to buy it separatly?

Because if i'm right in the case we use 2 modules, the best way is:
-a master module (with digital input will be better) and a keypad
-a slave analog module without keypad

In this case, only one keypad is needed.

A last question: is it possible to have an auto on/off , auto on only when signal is incoming in the module, and auto off when no signal input (with a delay maybe?)

regards,
Franck

fram said:
Dear Jan-Peter,

What about keypad? Is it in the package for each AS2.100? Or we need to buy it separatly?

Because if i'm right in the case we use 2 modules, the best way is:
-a master module (with digital input will be better) and a keypad
-a slave analog module without keypad

In this case, only one keypad is needed.

A last question: is it possible to have an auto on/off , auto on only when signal is incoming in the module, and auto off when no signal input (with a delay maybe?)

regards,
Franck

Good point!

Every AS2.100 will have a simple PCB with three control keys, and IR receiver.

With the AS2.100 you only need one keypad, the other is not needed anymore.

In future we will come with a very nice touchpanel, this will be an extra option.

There is no auto on/off mode. In practice customers are always complaining if the amps swich off to fast at very low volumes.

With the (optional) remote control unit you can switch the amp in standby mode.

Jan-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.