Hypex UcD AS2.100 - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 02:17 PM   #281
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs_Hypex View Post
I have to correct some here. First part is correct but If you want a setup with digital in you'll need the slave to be digital too. Because the digital inputs are not converted to analogue before they are transmitted to a slave.
See page 7 and 10 of the manual.
We will make this section of the manual clearer.
Apologies, I made the assumption this is how they would work without checking the manual. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 27th February 2011, 09:00 AM   #282
diyAudio Member

I hope someone from Hypex can answer this:
Apart from output power, what are the main technical differences between AS2.100 and PSC2.400 ?

I know some of it has been discussed earlier in the thread, but .... I'm too lazy to read all of it.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:26 PM   #283
Vathek is offline Vathek  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I hope someone from Hypex can answer this:
Apart from output power, what are the main technical differences between AS2.100 and PSC2.400 ?

I know some of it has been discussed earlier in the thread, but .... I'm too lazy to read all of it.
I'm not someone from Hypex, but I do own a pair of PSC2.400d and looked into this before I bought them.

The most obvious difference is that the PSC has "professional" connections (XLR for analog and AES/EBU for digital) whereas the AS has "consumer" connections (cinch for analog and s/pdif for digital). The PSC has a switching power supply, while the AS has a "traditional" power-transformer plus regulation power supply. Then the PSC lacks the third way in the crossover, that the AS offers. Last but not least, the PSC has better specs if you look at the datasheets, which might mean there are better converters used. But that's just speculation, someone from Hypex would have to clarify this.

Quite possible I missed something, but this is what came to mind..
Old 27th February 2011, 01:32 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

Thanks a bunch!

Then I'll go for the PSC2.400 for my next project, since I need its greater output power.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:39 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

But I also have a question for someone from Hypex. My two-way monitors powered by a PSC2.400d hiss quite noticeably. Now that was to some degree expected, after all they output about 200W into 8 ohm of a tweeter that's way above 100dB/W.

Now the strange thins is, that if I play a sound signal that's quieter than the noise floor of the speaker (yes, that's really quiet), there is no hiss noticeable. But as soon as I stop the playback the hiss reappears as if there was a gate opened. This makes me think that the hiss is not only from the power amplifier, but also from circuit before (dithering noise?).

I hope I'm being clear, let me try again: The speakers hiss noticeably, but only when there's no audio signal present at the inputs. As soon as there's a signal (as faint as it may be) the hiss is gone, when playback is stopped, the hiss is back.

I can live with it, but it would certainly be a big improvement if this hiss could be avoided. Oh, I'm using the digital inputs btw, haven't tried analog (would have to get cables first). Any idea what this could be?
Old 27th February 2011, 01:47 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Maybe it automatically switches to the analog inputs when there is no signal at the digital input? Just a thought...
Old 27th February 2011, 01:48 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!

Then I'll go for the PSC2.400 for my next project, since I need its greater output power.
You're welcome. Good choice, I think it's the more "professional" product and I'm very happy with mine (except for the noise issue mentioned in the other post).

What's also kind of lacking in my view (but that's the same for both units), is the filter designer. It gets the job done, but it would be so much easier if one could do the measurements from within the Hypex software itself. It's just a bit cumbersome to use all in all and not very well documented. It took me quite a while to figure out in what format an impulse recording has to be so that measurements from Arta or Holmimpulse can be imported.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:50 PM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe it automatically switches to the analog inputs when there is no signal at the digital input? Just a thought...
Good thinking! I actually do have the inputs on auto-select, I'll try and set it to AES manually. Thanks!
Old 27th February 2011, 03:49 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

I'm considering the PSC2.400 for my dipole line-array project, that have been on hold for a while.... noise will not be a problem since the B&G RD-75 ribbon I'm using is only 88 dB sensitive. With 100+ dB sensitive drivers, noise is going to be a problem with almost anything. I do remember the nightmares I had with tube amps and a 103 dB speaker at 2 meter listening distance.... yikes.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:01 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

It wasn't the digital/analog setting, oh well. I can live with the hiss, but it certainly would be nice if it were gone. But you won't have any such problem with your ribbons and other than this hiss these are really nice amps, good luck with your project!

Hide this!Advertise here!