Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wwenze said:
Now where did they get the Tripath chips from?

There is a large amount of stock out there, you just have to know where to look. I purchased 100pcs of TC2001 not too long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the chip houses that Tripath outsourced to are still making these. Just because Tripath went belly up doesn't mean that manufacturing these chips isn't still lucrative. All of the hard work as far R&D goes has been paid for long ago; all they have to do now is just run the machines. Easy money.

i have the 4x100 version of this board. i use it for setting up sound systems outdoors. it will run all day wide open off two car batteries in series!

inside the house under more civilized apps i was very impressed with its sound quality at low volume. very crisp and clean. ran it for hours off a small ups 12v battery. as you crank it up though you begin to notice the thd go up.

shame sure electronics is offering either version of the 100wpc boards.

i also have the 8w per channel and 15w per channel boards from them. both work very well.

Pincellone wrote "Even if people at Virtue Audio will not be so happy to hear that, I am!".

Well, I think that the Virtue Audio stuff still has a "plus": it's very well engineered and dressed.
And I dont see any competition between the two brands. The target markets are quite different: DIY vs end users.

@AF115

You are right fellow countryman.

You don't need to be a marketing guru to say or understand that!!!:D

I wrote that shortly after I heard the news and I was quite excited.

Obviously The Virtue One/Two as well as the Kama Bay amplifiers are turnkey solutions for people who wants/needs the "pappa pronta" (a ready made meal).

Ciao

P.

Watch out.... there are two versions: one rated at 2*50W and the other rated at 2*100W.

I made an order on their Ebay site without carefully looking at the details. I thought "Buy It Now" price of $34.99 with free shipping was a bargain and clicked on it. Only after having paid for it, I have come to the realization that I have just bought myself 2*50W version when the 2*100W version is available at the starting bid price of $39.99! Oh, bugger me!

A just reminder to read the details before you click on the "order" from someone who has learned his lesson painfully :(

After having examined the pictures carefully, I think the two boards are almost identical except the number of TP2050 chips, one vs. two, hence the ratings of 2*50W vs. 2*100W.

I am still waiting for its arrival...and when it does, I hope I can get some helpful instruction on how to supply the powers to it, connect the speakers, and the CD player. I have never done any DIY before and it is going to be my first project. I have already made a silly mistake even before touching the solder though!

Did you try to contact them and ask if you could change your order?

The 2 chips in parallel should basically let it drive low-impedance speakers (4-6 ohm) better, and yes the board is more powerful.

However I think also the monochipped one will do a great job (The Virtue One has only one TP2050).

P.

Manual

I was thinking about chaning the order to a 2*100W one, but then it seemed a little difficult to do so unless my ordered unit is found to have a fault. So I am sticking by the single chip version.

I feel a little better after hearing even the low powered one should do a decent job. Thanks, Pincellone! :)

I asked them for a manual and they have sent me a link to a PDF file. I have just checked the link is valid, but haven't read through it. The manual is for the board with a single TP2050 one but it could be also valid for the twin chips version too.

Here is the link to the manual

http://www.sure-electronics.net/download/AA-AB014_Ver1.1_EN.pdf

psu voltage

What would be the best psu voltage to get the most power out of this amplifier with 8Ohm speakers ? Is 36V too close to the maximum input voltage? Should I go for a 24V psu or is something like 27 or 32V the better choice?

Thanks in advance,

Joep

I will be using it with a 24V switching PSU with adjustable voltage. Actual voltage will be 28V. I prefer to get less watts but more sound quality out of it.

Virtue Audio provide 30V switching PSU along with their Virtue One amps. This one is not a clone, but it is equipped with the very same chips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.